Would this be a good idea...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aj*, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ok, I have spotted a used Mesa Strategy 400 stereo power amp which is all valve of course. I rekon I would be able to get it for around 500$. Firstly, is this a good price? Obviously I would have to get it shipped over here which would be a pain, anyone who can give me the weight of this amp so I can see what it is likely to cost.

Now I've always fancied something a little more tubey and was wondering if this would be a good foundation. I could easily run the fx loop from the HA3500 I own now into the Strategy. Now what I want to know is if that on it's own would add some warmth and tubey goodness to the sound. The other idea would be to do that for a while then when I have adequate funds, buy an ampeg svp-pro and hook those two beauties up :D.

My brother has contacts in America who could handle the shipping etc but I simply want to know if this would be worth my while.

I know a 410tp wouldn't do it justice probably but I have a cab aquisation plan set for some point in the future too.

Your opinions please!
  2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Since what you're asking for is an opinion, I'll freely give mine. I think that you'd be smart to hold out and let this pass by. First and foremost the stereo amp will be a complete waste unless you bridge it (don't know if that's a feature of the amp or not). I also think that using your 3500 as a pre-amp only is a waste.

If I recall correctly, your amp has a tube preamp... you could try swapping the tube out with a vintage quality mullard or something and that should warm up your sound a bit? Or you could just sell the HA3500 and get a preamp/amp setup. Just my thoughts... I'll elaborate more if you're interested.

Hope that helps!:bassist:
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It does run bridged, 400w mono, 4 and 8 ohm outputs. The thing is, what is not great about the HA3500 is the power amp which is very sterile, can come out quite harsh even. I really like the preamp stage though, certainly untill an svp pro manifested itself I'd be quite happy to keep on using it. I don't want to sell the 3500, I love the pre stage. What I want to do is improve the power stage, that way I'd have the option of both tube and ss power and pre stages. Heck even if I got the SVP-Pro the 3500 would be kept on as a backup.

I see your point about changing the tube but from what I've heard it doesn't "transform" the sound. What I want is to be able to go from tubey warmth (for my jazz groups) to a crisp, clean ss for things that need a harder edge.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, this is a purely speculative project as yet.
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well it just sold for $610. Meh. Anyway, for future reference incase I get the opertunity to pick one of these up again, some more opinions would be nice.