1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would this be a good idea...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aj*, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ok, I have spotted a used Mesa Strategy 400 stereo power amp which is all valve of course. I rekon I would be able to get it for around 500$. Firstly, is this a good price? Obviously I would have to get it shipped over here which would be a pain, anyone who can give me the weight of this amp so I can see what it is likely to cost.

Now I've always fancied something a little more tubey and was wondering if this would be a good foundation. I could easily run the fx loop from the HA3500 I own now into the Strategy. Now what I want to know is if that on it's own would add some warmth and tubey goodness to the sound. The other idea would be to do that for a while then when I have adequate funds, buy an ampeg svp-pro and hook those two beauties up :D.

My brother has contacts in America who could handle the shipping etc but I simply want to know if this would be worth my while.

I know a 410tp wouldn't do it justice probably but I have a cab aquisation plan set for some point in the future too.

Your opinions please!

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Since what you're asking for is an opinion, I'll freely give mine. I think that you'd be smart to hold out and let this pass by. First and foremost the stereo amp will be a complete waste unless you bridge it (don't know if that's a feature of the amp or not). I also think that using your 3500 as a pre-amp only is a waste.

If I recall correctly, your amp has a tube preamp... you could try swapping the tube out with a vintage quality mullard or something and that should warm up your sound a bit? Or you could just sell the HA3500 and get a preamp/amp setup. Just my thoughts... I'll elaborate more if you're interested.

Hope that helps!:bassist:

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It does run bridged, 400w mono, 4 and 8 ohm outputs. The thing is, what is not great about the HA3500 is the power amp which is very sterile, can come out quite harsh even. I really like the preamp stage though, certainly untill an svp pro manifested itself I'd be quite happy to keep on using it. I don't want to sell the 3500, I love the pre stage. What I want to do is improve the power stage, that way I'd have the option of both tube and ss power and pre stages. Heck even if I got the SVP-Pro the 3500 would be kept on as a backup.

I see your point about changing the tube but from what I've heard it doesn't "transform" the sound. What I want is to be able to go from tubey warmth (for my jazz groups) to a crisp, clean ss for things that need a harder edge.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, this is a purely speculative project as yet.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well it just sold for $610. Meh. Anyway, for future reference incase I get the opertunity to pick one of these up again, some more opinions would be nice.