Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this be an awesome 8x10 setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 29, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have something against the standard SVT 8x10 setup and also have found that fridges are a little bit of a pain to transport. Here is the idea I have in mind for an alternate 8x10-

Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 +

SWR Goliath III 4x10

I play rock/metal primarily and am starting to take on a few jazz/fusion short term projects, and ultimately want to go where my heart is, which is progressive metal.

I am curious what the expert TB'ers think of this potential setup, or if anyone has tried something like this. I am not sure how it would sound, but I bet it would look pretty cool :cool:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it'll probably sound great.......

but do you really need two 4x10 cabs?

what kind of head and cab are you using now, what's the impedance of the cab (in ohms) and what kind of power does your head put out into 8 ohms, 4 ohms, and 2 ohms??? (if it can power a 2 ohm load - most amps can only power a 4 ohm minimum)

i've heard many guys having volume problems with an amp putting out 200 watts into their 8 ohm 410 have all those problems dissapear when they put 800 - 1000 watts into it. no second cab needed. ;)

3. why use 2 different types of 410? just out of curiosity

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    +1

I ran around (o.k. maybe walked slowly) with two 4x10 cabs for a few years before I got tired of the weight. Two 4x10 cabs is an awesome set up if you need really loud stage volume. But for the most part, one 4x10 was all that was needed for most gigs. If it was no problem to carry I would still have this setup (two Ampeg BXT 4x10 cabs powered by an SVT 4). I think two four tens are better than one big 8x10. This will give you more flexability. Normally this setup will require alot of power so you need to consider your setup carefully. Two 8 ohm cabs if you want to bridge your power amp and daisey chain. Or two 4 ohm cabs if you have a powerful stereo amp. What kind of head are you using?

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I am using a Mesa Bass 400 with stock 6L6's but will probably switch them out for 6550's before long (head was made in 1982 and that is how old the tubes are!). This head goes as low as 4 ohms, which is kind of unfortunate.

I got turned on to mixing different types of cabs when I started playing bass again and was building a rig from scratch. I picked up two different 15's (Mesa Diesel and SWR WM) from ebay for really cheap and an Ashdown head. Combined, the cabs had a pretty nice syngergistic effect. The Mesa cab has a pretty rounded sound and well defined low-end, with some decent upper mids, and the SWR produces decent highs (for a 15) and a tight/punchy boom.

As far as this 8x10 setup goes, I could end up using one cab for rock primarily and the other for jazz related endeavors.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you want one monster cab, go with the Bergantino 610 or the Schroeder 410. Both would probably be a little easier than hauling a pair of 410's around. That gets to be annoying when you have to head to a show.

7. I use two ampeg svt cabs, they both have different yet simiar tone.... i'd be interested in hearing why you want a mesa 410 and an swr 410... they will have different sounds, but i'm not sure how they'll mix together. i would suspect that swr would not mix well with other cabs... because of the distinct tone.

8. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you can't swap 6550 tubes with 6L6's.
    The bias will be wrong, the pin out is different, and the power supply of the mesa will not give you more power with 6550's.

Retube it with 6l6's, it's agreat amp, if you're young enough to haul it around.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I am not sure how it would sound mixed together either, that's why I was asking for feedback on the idea! I was thinking the Goliath would add a little bit more edge and punch to the overall sound.

I havent had a chance to try the Bass 400 out on a Goliath 4x10, so I am not sure what the outcome would sound like. I have heard good things about the combination though.

This has been done and discussed a few times here on TB. I think the Bass 400 was intended for 6550's (with a pretty cold bais for 6L6's, but about right for 6550s) but they were stocked with 6L6's due to tube availability at the time.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193935

10. You can use either 6L6's or 6550's on it :spit:

and its not heavey

11. I assume you'd stack the SWR on top of the Mesa? My experience when I owned a Mesa 410 powerhouse was that the Mesa wanted a lot of power. So I assume the SWR would be more responsive with less watts.

So if you put the swr on top and it throws more sound... you'll more than likely be hearing a lot more of the SWR than the Mesa. This is all hypothetical of course.. you should listen to them and judge for yourself.

if you like the swr sound... i'd say get 2 goliaths.

I think you'd be better off keeping the cabs similar and dialing in a tone or a 'sound' you want with your amp or effects.

12. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    coukdn't it be possible that the mesa cab will just outplay the swr because it has more "umph" ( :D ) and you maybe won't hear anything of the swr cab because the mesa cab is louder?

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i highly doubt a boogie cab is more efficient then a goliath. boogies have an old school vibe to them and most people say they take a lot of power compared to some 4x10's. i think the 2 cabs would make a very nice tone together. i always found my goliath to be lacking lows. the boogie would add some nice tight bottom end to the sound and warm up the sterile goliath. that is if youre up to hauling 2, 4x10 cabs around. ;)

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I am probably going to hold off on the 2/4x10 vision for the time being. I have a Powerhouse 4x10 enroute, and if its nearly as good as everyone says I may be content for a while (not to mention I have a few other cabs to experiment/gig with).

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I really like the Mesa 4x10+1x15 setup. If they weren't so danged heavy, I'd have that set up. I played this setup when testing out my new Spector at GC thru a BB750, and, yeah- wow. It was somethin' else...

I plan on getting a Schro 410 or Epi UL410 as a single-cab solution in the future.

16. yeah.. my powerhouse 410 was the heaviest & bulkiest item i've ever lifted.

i think it's around 125 lbs.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Your Powerhouse was that heavy?? Hmm, that seems a bit excessive to me. I can understand the Diesel being that heavy, as my 6x10 was about 150lbs, but the Powerhouse cabs I've had weren't really all that heavy. My 2x10 wasn't all that heavy, but I donno. Maybe so, tho.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    It looks like I'll be testing out this setup before long. I placed a rather low bid on a new ebay Goliath (seller had reputable feedback, seemed like a small music store going out of business) and unexpectedly won the auction for $380. Where were you guys! That's it... I'm done with GAS and might as well build a crane onto my balcony in case I ever want to gig with both cabs. Oh yeah... and you'll see me eating Ramen noodles for the next few months. I'll report back if this setup sounds truly horrible.

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree with Chariot. the bergie NV610 is on my list of all purpose cabs to get. It only weighs 98 lbs and it gets loud.

20. boogie cabs rock.

I've had a roadready 2x15, 2x10 & 1x15.

I still rock the 1x15 & 2X10 w/a m2000.

I had a 400+ w/the 2x15 & 2x10. It was the perfect setup, but too big when I stopped playing med-lrg-sized venues. The new boogies are slightly lighter than the old diesels. But the reason thier so heavy is they are built so well and solid. Thus the unmistakeable boogie sound. I tried an ampeg w/the 1x15 & 2x10 boogie cabs, and it sounded like garbage. Boogie Really do need to be pushed hard to perform at their peak.

Also there is something to be said for running matching brand head/cabs. It took all my problems away. In many cases the amps are engineered for the cabs So you can't go wrong.