Would This be Cool?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I picked up a blue Cort Curbow last week that I ordered from the local dealer where I do about 70% of my business. The Curbow is fine, it is pretty comfortable and gets some nice tones. It is also very light. The only downside is that it smells a bit like gasoline. :eyebrow:

The catch is that about as soon as I ordered the Curbow, the dealer got a really nice Guild Pilot four on a trade in and it is priced the same as my Curbow. That Guild is sweet with nice a figured maple fingerboard and natural finish. A new American bass like that would probably run about $1,100-1,500. It also has really nice EMG P&J pickups. I've have had the Cort less than a week and I would really like to swap it for that Pilot.

The catch is that I special ordered the Cort Curbow, even though he is a Cort dealer. The Cort is a really practical backup to my SR5, but I would love a vintage, quality American four string, especially one that sounds as good as a Guild Pilot, Would I be an absolute jerk to ask about a swap?
  2. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Trying can't hurt. If they think they can sell that Cort, I don't see a reason not to. It all comes down to wether or not they think they can make close to the same money on it.
    Pilots are nice basses. You don't see them with maple boards that often. Its cool that you can still find 'em cheap.
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    He probably would be fine with the swap. A Curbow shouldn't be too hard for him to unload, besides, he will probably make more $ of you by selling you the used pilot. (used gear usually has a better margin)
    However, you did special order the bass, so if he declines, it is his perogative.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My local dealer agreed to the swap. The Pilot has a birdseye maple neck, but the fingerboard is rosewood. The neck is very, very slim like a MM Sterling. The finish is natural. I belive the body is ash, but not bookmatched. The level of finish is equal to a Lakland Skyline of MIA Fender. I will have to oil the bridge, it has a bit of rust. I know I've said this before, but I will do my best to get pictures, this is a great near vintage bass. Quality wise, I would have to spend $1,100-1,500 to get a new bass of similar quality and build.