Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this be possible??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berten, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I'm just curious, I'm not planning on building a bass or so........
    But: conklin has basses with 2 outputs: e.g. on jean baudin's 9string 'pacman'-bass the output of the higher strings can go to one amp and the lower string on an other. But would it be possible to have a bass with 2 outputs on which you can sent the output of every single string to 2 of the 2 outputs: maybe with a little switch for every string. It would be fun to use 2 amps and 2 FXunits on the different strings and also be able to choose with strings........

Maybe my explanation isn't right, but it was just an idea.

What do you guys think??

2. Most pickups have a coil of wire (or two) that pick up signals from all the strings. So they would not do what you wanted.

Your starting point would have to be a pickup for each string, which suggests something like a separate bridge for each string, with a piezo sensor under each. I believe that is available on some high end basses.

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I think stingrays were the cheapest piezo equipped bass i've seen. There's also the option of a Lightwave equipped bass. I'm surprised F hasn't jumped in here :smug:

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Wal basses send each pickup and each string seperately to the pre amp. So a 2 pickup 5 string has ten complete pickups. Bart makes a few pickups with one coil per string also. Atlansia also made basses with one pickup per string.

I would expect a bit of bleed from one string to the other with magnetic pups but it is very doable though not really simple.