Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this be redundant?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by strangemusic, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I've been planning a sort of prototype pedalboard lately, and have one question about it:

would it be redundant to place a Sansamp and an Aphex Bass Xciter in the same setup? they are both pretty nice DI-capable boxes with tone-fattening properties, but would combining them make any sense?

2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    I think you could have them both; one dirty, one clean - two different sounds. I’ve been working on tweaking my Exciter to put it into my chain (I also have a sansamp). Having them on at the same time might be a self-defeating, you would have to do a lot of tweaking for them to both co-exist when active and not be muddy. Hopefully another TB’er with more knowledge in this area could shed some light on this for you. :meh:

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I bought the sansamp programmable to replace the bass exciter. I set it up so the 1st channel does what my exciter did. I leave that one on all the time. 2nd channel is basically a boost of the 1st w/ a little overdrive. 3rd channel is drive cranked. Once i got the sansamp, I didn't really have much use for the exciter anymore. I never tried em together though.

4. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    saw that one comming... :oops:
    I have thought about it replacing the both of mine with the programmable when it came out....damn it's still tempting. GAS, GAS, GAS

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No, they do different jobs. The only commonality between the two is the DI.

6. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    :rolleyes: Hopefully another TB’er with more knowledge in this area could shed some light on this for you.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    They do sound different...I happen to prefer the sansamp tone

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'd put one at the front and one at the back of your effects. If you use longer instrument cables, 10ft.+, having one of them at the front of the board will keep your signal up before it hits your effects. Then the one at the back will help send it along its merry way through the cable that goes back to your amp/house p.a.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i have a bass exciter and i run it after all my other pedals to rectify my tone. i think it would function better in this capacity than the sansamp, which typically would run first. alternatively you could put you sansamp on your dirty line and ur exciter on your clean line.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I always run my SansAmp last. What is the rational for running it first? Are you using it as an overdrive?

My current rock setup:
    P bass -> Torn's Peaker -> Sparkle Drive -> SansAmp -> iAmp 500

Torn's Peaker for heavier distortion (My my, hey hey for eg), Sparkle Drive for overdrive, SansAmp for the SVT tone.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    sorry i actually dont use a sansamp i was just saying that i would have thought u would run it first in the chain given that it tends to produce a cleaner sort of OD. do u find the sansamp does well with retaining your bass signal through your other effects?

12. I would assume it would run first in a chain as well, it seems logical that one wouldn't want a dirtied-up tone going into it, perhaps this could get muddy?

I've done some research (search button, anyone?) and now believe I have a more concrete idea as to what I want to do, thanks for the advice... this whole ideal positioning thing is an interesting debate though.

:bassist:

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    At home I practice using a small mixer and a boom box or headphones. This was sounding a bit sterile, so I bought the SansAmp to beef up the sound. I use it as an amp simulator. So since I think of the SansAmp as an amp replacement, I always assumed everyone put it last in the chain. To use it as a DI, you have to do this.

Anyway, the band learned "Hey hey, my my" by Neil Young and I broke out the Torn's Peaker. It is a little too over the top by itself, but sounds great through the SansAmp :bassist:

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I hope that that wasn't directed at me.

15. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    no way! :D