Would this be sensible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by romac, Mar 13, 2004.

1. I am thinking of getting a more powerufl bass amp. I have only been playing 6 months and the only amp I have is a cheap 15 watt practice amp. The Tech 21 Landmark 60 (60 watt) caught my eye but when I do get into a band (hopefully some time within the next 6 months) then I will need more power than that (won't I). However Tech 21 really appeal to me since thye are renound for quality and great tone.

Would it be sensible to get this Tech 21 amp and then when I do get in a band I purchase a 100 watt (or so) bass extension cabinet?? So I get the good tone of the Landmark 60 and the added power of the cab.

Also, does anyone know where I can find any more info on things like Amps, pre-amps, power amps, heads, cabinets etc... since it often all goes over my head.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey romac...use the search feature here at TB. Pick a brand and do a search. Or, pick a component and do a search. You could even search for the word beginner, and find all kinds of info.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In a band, you're going to need at least 300 watts. 600 is better and 2,000 rules. Seriously, if you're playing against a 50-watt guitar amp, you'll need every watt of a 300- or 400-watt amp. If the guitarist has a 100-watt amp and plays loud, you'll need a kilowatt or more.

Now, there are going to be a bunch of guys who follow who will say they've been playing in a band for six years with a 250-watt Yorkville and never had any problems. These people either are liars, or no one hears them in the band.
  4. thanks for all your help.

What I will do is next weekend I'll go into town (thats 1 hour away :crying: ) and have a look at what basses the guitar shop has, try a few, gain more knowledge, do a search here and just gain more knowledge about amps and when I do get in a band I should have enough money for a 300Watt.

Thats just so you know what I will do ;)
  5. Just want to clarify something. Sorry for my ignorance here but the words cab, power amp, pre-amp, DI, amp, combo, stack, head etc.... all get thrown around and its confusing.

So is this a viable set-up??? Currently I'm just using a combo but for the future would this be a good set-up??

Bass > Pre-amp > Head > Cabinet

Also is the SansAmp Driver DI a pre-amp??

Thanks for any help.
  6. jwb

Nov 4, 2003
    Less than 300 watts solid-state means you will change your set up again in the near future. All tube type amps provides better tone overall, but does weighs a lot. :bassist:
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes thats a viable setup, but you dont need the preamp, the head will already have one.
  8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

yeah, the sabddi is a preamp. it cannot drive a power amp though. so, yeah, bass-preamp-head-cab is good setup. you can bypass most amp heads usually crappy preamp sections by plugging into either the "power amp in" jack or the "effects return" jack in the fx loop. and i do reccommend bypassing the preamp if you use the sansamp. and if i made any errors in judgement or direction someone here will correct me and call me a moron to boot. yay.
  9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Actually for the best setup go;
    Bass, Preamp, Poweramp and Cabinet. Get away from the head, its dragging you down unless you want to spend the money on an Ultra High power Walter Woods!

Look at getting a good poweramp first. Crest makes a killer amp, but there are a number oc companies that make good amps. Figure out if you want to go with a ligh weight amp first. This is what most people are doing these days. Exampke of Price, the Crest LT1000 is $550 (1200 watts @4). These are great amps and are very sensitive on the input side and aren’t any trouble to run with your bass plugged direct. Amps are different in that some aren’t as sensitive and you have to have an out board preamp to push the amp.

Your Power amp and having plenty of power for the future as well as your cabinet are the two most important parts or your rig.
  10. It´s nice to know there´s somebody aboard that knows the absolute truth. I´m sure there are lots of people here who lie about gear just to ruin all the beginners´careers. I guess I´m one of them. :meh:
  11. Thanks a lot, this has really helped. Without TB I would have probably wasted $400 on an insufficient combo ;)

jim primate - you say the Sansamp DI can't drive a power amp but here's an extract from the product description:

I don't know who to believe. Could some please help on this matter?
  12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    It will drive a power amp, just might not be someone's choice as a unit to use in doing so.

With the Crest amp's their efficient enough to by run with the onboard eq of a bass. Most amps aren't that sensitive on the input side.

There are a number of good amps on the market; it’s a person choice you have to go with. Same goes for different preamp's, which is a good reason separates work so well. If you decide to change pre's at some point your amp is always there. With the Crest I run basses at the shop straight into the amp for testing basses out. This way there is no preamp inline and people get a closer since to the tone of the bass. Not all amps are efficient enough to take the signal of a bass straight with out an out board pre.
  13. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

I agree with Munjibunga especially if you play gigs without p.a. support. I'd say at least 300w into 4ohms with a couple of 12" 8ohm or maybe 410 or 115 + 210 cabs in a stage situation depending on how much you like to carry. To defend some people I can imagine in a mature jazz or folky band they might get away with a 100w combo on stage, but I agree that "the rest" of the band may not hear them well, especially in a louder band.

I LOVE tech21 and if you like the tone you could get a RBI preamp with a power amp. or you could get a tech21 landmark 300 (slightly low for my taste, great tone though) or the 600 head (pre + amp in one box). don't be afraid to get a "rack" (portable case to hold equipment like preamps and amps) I like SKB brand cases, just be sure how "deep" you need the case to fit around your amp, which will probably be the deepest.

if you are on a budget AVATAR cabs come recommended for value/tone ratio.

my current rig is :
    skb 4space rack
    tech21 RBI preamp
    Stewart 1.2 power amp
    two aguilar gs112 cabs

and for the record I'm considering a landmark 60 for home. for practices with friends, I might get the bass engine powered cab for more volume. my big rig stays a church right now.
  14. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, just for the record I tried out a landmark 60 and have concluded that I do not like the tone of the 12" speaker they chose to put in it. I plugged one of my aguilar gs112s into it and that sounded MUCH better to me, so I think I'll be saving up my money for another power amp so I can have a small aggie/RBI/amp rig at home and leave my 2aggie/Rpm/stewart at church.

I think the landmark60 can appeal some people, but I'm just too picky about tone. its pretty loud for a 60w.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You don't have to be a liar. It's likely that nobody ever hears you though.