Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this be too heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Jan 28, 2006.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Mahoghany body with a walnut top.

My friend's custom tobias bass is the best sounding bass I have ever heard recorded or live and I know that it has a mahoghany body. I luv the look of walnut and so wanted to have the best of both worlds. Would this be too heavy for a body though?

I can't describe the tone but it is very mellow,warm and very creamy with some crunch.

I was actually going to order it from warmoth and have them do the hipshot tremolo routings and normal routings

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, not at all.

3. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    ALso would basswood be a decent core under a walnut? From the descriptions I've read, it gives off warmer sounding tones

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I prefer mahogany over basswood, myself.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I could be wrong... but I heard basswood is a cheaper wood that are mostly used on cheaper basses.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not necesarily. Musicman Bongo, not cheap, uses basswood.

Just because it is cheap does not mean it is bad. It is a very sonically sound wood that provides for great tone. Cheaper basses do sometimes use it because it is a great sounding wood for a reasonable price.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I replied to your thread in Luthiers.