Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this be too punchy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well, I'm selling my Fender Rumble 60 - It's too big to take around to a mate's house, and too small to play gigs with. Also, it's not really punchy enough: Too thumpy. Here's the plan:

With the money I make from it, buy a Hartke A35 combo for taking around the house and taking to a mate's or whatever...

then for my birthday in November get a used Hartke 410 aluminium cone cab, and a GK backline 600 new.

I'm only just starting to gig now, I play in a metal (I know!) band and a ska band (RBF or LTJ style, nice 'n punchy). I have a Traben Phoenix 4, Westfield SB427 (Which I modded the hell out of, defretted, stripped the neck, replaced bridge etc) and I'm half way through building a custom growling demon of a bass (Wenge neck/fretboard, walnut body, 5 string, passive, 35" scale length).

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm not in the position to try out any piece of musical equipment beyond practice amps and the odd Squier bass or two, because I live in a tiny city (Only just a city) with almost no music shops. The gigs I'm gonna be playing will probably be to crowds of about 200-300 with a 2kw PA and 2 150w guitar amps. My biggest influence for metal is David Ellefson from Megadeth, and my biggest influence for ska is Matt Wong.

Any help or information would be much appreciated! I'd hate to buy equipment that I'd just have to sell again.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For metal, I would personally not touch any of the amps listed. You should try out every amp combination that you can though, and just pick out the one you like best. I'd suggest trying some tube amps for metal.

3. get yourself hooked up with some trace hear.

plenty of versatility. you can make it punchy, o growling.. or both :cool:

lotsa stuff going on ebay atm. you could really have a nice rig going down; 2x15 for metal and then a 4x10 for ska. noice. :)

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Wow, I was considering getting a Trace Elliot for a long time, but never thought I'd be able to tweak one to get a metal sound - That's brilliant news though, I'd really love a Trace!

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Wouldn't go with Hartke for metal, the aluminium cones don't really sit well for metal. I love my amp but I wouldn't personally get it specifically for metal.

6. i don't play metal myself, i do remember reading somewhere on here that someone used Trace for metal. I don't see why you couldn't get a dark, thundering punch tho with some 15's!

do it. Trace is the way!!!

7. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Aha, I've found a lovely 130 watt Trace head in Cardiff (Just a few miles out of town) with local delivery only - My dad drives do Cardiff everyday to work, so I could get him to pick it up for me. I just need to shift my Fender amp before the auction ends!

I think I'll go without a proper bass cab until my birthday in November, where I can get a real nice cab, maybe even 2 cabs to make a stack - But in the mean time, I guess I'll use my brother's old PA speaker. Yeah, I know it'll sound like crap, but it's better than nothing! I could always use the headphones too.

Anyways, does anyone have any reccomendations for cabs? Light would be good - Really good actually. I find it awkward carrying my brothers AVT amp around, which is about 50 lbs I think but not sure. I could go heavier than that, but definitely no more than 70lbs. As for speaker combinations, I really don't know! Versatility is good, I'm looking more for punch and growl than thump though.

8. Not sure how these would do for metal, but the ashdown MAGs would be a safe bet!

Also, you might wanna try and get something more in the realms of an AH250 (250W rRMS @ 4ohm) or the slightly different power amp that has 280 W RMS. Mind you, the difference between 250 & 280 is minimal!

I've read a few good thigs about the Trace + ashdown mix, and ashdown have plenty of availability, good customer care and are cheap! :)

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ahhh, so an AH250 ish head, and an Ashdown Mag 2x10 cab, or something similar?

I was also considering a GK 700RBII or something similar... Pretty beasty stuff, but I've heard very good stuff, and the 5 string button sounds useful. I'm off to the local music shop on Saturday to see if they have any bass amps there this week, I can only hope, but you never know!

10. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I find I prefer the 800rb tonewise. The 700 is a really nice unit as well.