Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this be too risque?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I was thinking of suggesting the Talkbass T-Shirt, Bassists Hang Low... Too risque? :p

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I like it!! 'Course, you could say the same thing about my Dachshund!!

-robert

3. I'd go for that... I'd like a T-shirt with Gone Fishin? on the front and a bass clef on the back with "NAH!"

:D:D

Merls

4. But normal people are morons, and they won't get it. Yeah, in-jokes are cool, but only if the other person finally gets it after a few minutes.

Rock on
    Eric

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    My vote is still for What Part Of Cxsus4b7b9#13 Don't You Understand? :D

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The x, and the b7, and the #13. Or is the x supposed to mean double sharp? Since 7 is assumed to be flat anyway, b7 would be the same pitch as 6, so it would be pointless calling it b7. And, #13 would be the essentially the same pitch as 7 - so it's pointless calling it #13. So what you really mean is D13b9(sus4), or somesuch.

:D

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    True, but this way makes it look more complicated.

Why would the 7 be flat anyway? You're right that #13 is the same pitch as b7 (admittedly I didn't think about it much as I typed it in ;))

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Because in chord symbols, 7 means flattened 7th - i.e. the minor 7th of the scale. So, to flatten that would give you the 6th. But it's all hypothetical anyway - you don't see b7 in chord symbols, and you don't see #13 either.

Obviously I realise you were just typing it out like that to make it look complicated :) But if you're gonna put a complicated chord symbol on a T-shirt, at least make it a valid one :p

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I could have sworn I have seen both b7 and #13 in chord symbols before... true, they weren't in the same chord though.

At any rate... any big long chord symbol that will make a non-musician poop in his/her pants would do just fine ;)

10. Alyn

Alyn

Dec 19, 2002
    I saw a sign a while ago with "Bass players do it deeper" my girlfreind at the time was gonna buy it for me but the shop was closed and some *insult unsuitable for public view* caused some *coarse slang meaning "poo"* before the stall opened so we had to scram :mad: :( .

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm... find me examples :) I don't see any reason why there would ever be either of those in a chord symbol, really. #11, sure, but 13? And why put b7 in a chord symbol when 7 is flat anyway? Making it flatter would give you a 6.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I stand corrected on the b7 - that should have read m7...

I'm still sure I've seen a #13 before - I will have a look and see.

In the meantime, how about this...

What part of viim7b5 (III7) / vim (vim/V) / bvm7b5 (VII7b9) / IIIMaj7 (iim7) V9 don't you understand?

That one is an actual progression and not something I made up! :D

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York