1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this blow up my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I just bought an electric guitar and my clip on tuner is being frustrating beyond belief. My bass amp (Bronco 40) has a tuner, and when the tuner is in use the amp turns off. Could I try to tune the guitar with my amp, without royally messing up my amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I believe that it's supposed to turn off your amp when you use the tuner, then you can tune up silently. Don't think I'd worry about it.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Turn your instrument's volume all the way down so it isn't coming though the amp. Without all the extra vibrations, your clip on tuner should then work.

Didn't Hendrix say something like only surf and country bands play in tune?

4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I always use the clip on tuner when I'm unplugged and alone, so unless it's picking up the local traffic that's not the problem. In fact the that tuner has a habit of not picking up vibrations, the E string, anything above the 5th fret, anything at all...:scowl:

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    It might help if you move the position of the tuner, even a little. If there are any screws in the assembly between the clip and the tuner body (my Peterson has one), see if you can tighten them. This will optimize the transfer of the vibrations from the clip to the tuner.

6. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Mine is just a Snark, and I've tried to clipped to every part of the headstock, so that I can also see the read out, but still nothing.

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    To answer your original question - yes you can use the bass amp's tuner to tune the guitar - not sure if it has a setting for the B string though.

And something is wrong with your Snark...

8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    As was said, a guitar will not hurt a bass amp. A bass could damage a guitar amp's speaker if it is pushed too hard.

The only other suggestion concerning the Snark would be to ensure that the battery is good. The clamp should be pretty tight on the headstock. If it isn't that could be a problem.

9. Close. He said only cowboys stay in tune as he was tuning up his guitar.

10. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I was named after a Beach Boys song...:cool:

11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Nothing worse than tuning at full volume. You feel that you want to say something funny as a form of apology.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    clip-ons can be difficult on the bass. With the bass, we actually hear overtones more readily than the fundamental. The clip-on tuners pick up these overtones because they are so strong.

Have you tried tuning with the harmonics at the 12th fret? This should be much more stable.

13. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Hendrix said "you will never hear surf music again" and it turns out he was pretty much right- psychadellic out shadow ed surf music forever!

14. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I have a snark and have never had a problem with it. Make sure the battery is new and check for the switch on the snark tuner that changes between vibration and microphone.
    Also, make sure you tune your bass with zero volume. Your amp is probably muting in tune mode and this is normal. Remember, you don't want to be heard tuning your insturment on stage or anywhere for that matter. Hopefully this helps.

15. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I love Snark tuners, and have a bunch, as well as buying several for my guitar students. That being said, I've had a problem with two of them where they don't read well.

I figured out how to disassemble them, and cleaned up where the circuitry touches the back of the piezo. Problem solved. The contacts to the piezo disc are pressure fingers and apparently corrosion/tarnish from the dissimilar metals can develop, and contact with the piezo can be compromised. Once cleaned and reassembled, they worked great.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Squeeze the electronic part onto the stalk it pivots on. This sounds a little weird, but it means the vibrations transmit a little better. It shouldn't take much. I have also noticed that when the battery starts getting tired, a Snark will have more trouble responding, especially to a low E.