Would this fit inside the cavity of a Syline DJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 8, 2005.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Aguilar OBP1 and the following pots:

volume (push/pull active/passive)
    volume (push/pull series/parallel)
    passive tone (Fender no load pot)
    stacked bass/treble

with a 9v battery, of course. Tight fit. Is there enough room to fit all this? If not, is there a way of fitting it without destroying the bass (no rear routing)
  2. no, it won't fit. :scowl:

first of all, you are gonna put the input on the side?

the obp1 and battery do not fit in the cavity with all those big pots....

so, you have to make (unfortunately on all kind of jazzbasses) a compartment for the battery and for the obp1. :bawl:
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    No way it will fit, speaking from experience.
    The push/pull pots will take up much of the cavity, and there isn't enough room for a battery and the preamp module even if you used regular pots.

From the looks of things it looks like you'll have to do some carving to get a side mounted jack. As far as where to place batteries, you can place them under the pickguard.
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

sorry, forgot that part....yes, I do realize that I will have to move the jack to the side

I have heard of routing within the control cavity. Sort of like putting the battery and obp1 inside the cavity, but routed sideways

...| |
    __| |

really crappy drawing, but you get the idea. Route sideways betweent the front and back of the body. Hidden...
  5. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Ive done this before with a jazz bass & it worked out great. Just route a cavity under the control plate or pickguard for the preamp & then route another cavity in the back of the bass for the battery compartment. Get a flip up battery compartment...trust me, its worth the hassle.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, it can be done. I'm pondering doing this myself with my Skyline DJ4