1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this help me get more punch ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by playerunk, Oct 23, 2009.

1. a hartke 2.5xl cab

my current rig is fender aerodyne (with SD pickups) ->peavey tour 450 -> peavey 410txf (ancestor of the tvx)

would adding that 210 with aluminum cones help me define my sound ?

i know it will help me get louder (using all the power of the amp + more air moved) but other than that ?

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I don't know what will help you get more punch. Punch is so loosely defined around here and it could mean any frequency between 200hz-700hz. 200-350hz is basically your low mids and 400hz-700hz is the mid mids - it makes sense to me! Not exactly science but it works. Then you have people on here that talk about low end punch and what not - honestly the 80-150hz section is probably what they are referring to. What is really lacking?

Don't mix and match different brand cabs - unless you send one cab the lows and the other cab the highs - it will not sound right.

Peavey tour 450 - EQ settings? Do you have the mids removed from your tone? Set the control on the amp to the neutral settings and adjust from there. You may be removing too much of the midrange from your overall tone.

SD pickups - They are several different models and some of them have a built in spec to remove the midrange, another model is more even balanced and another model is mid boosted. What model did you get?

3. punch..well i can hear my sound but have to concentrate to find it sometimes. and punch for me is that pressure/air (dont know how to call it) you fell when striking a note (i think some refer to it as thump :meh:)

th eq cuts a bit at the low lows (it gets all boomy and resonant if i dont cut here) and boosts in the low mids -> mids in a semi-circle manner (250hz being it's highest point)

pickups are these and these

strings - fender flatwounds
    playing with a pick
    i dont know what speakers are in the cab but i will look as soon as i get the chance

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I may be off base here, but to me, flatwounds= thump, while stainless steel roundwounds = punch. Maybe all you need is to change your strings. I wouldn't add a 2x10 to a 4x10, either. Another identical 4x10 would be perfect, but I still think your punch is in the strings.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'd be curious - Get a Graphic equalizer, and a recording of your favorite bassline, listen on flat headphones, EQ it for max "punch" then report back what the frequencies are involved.
    EQ it again for "Warm", "Sterile", "Ballsy", ...
    Maybe some standard terms could be sorted out.

6. then it seems like the vague-ness of the terms has come such a long way that 2 can understand the exact opposite (or it's just the fact that i'm younger and still learning :bag:)

i dont know how it is called but i want to hear myself distinctly but not on top of everyone else and somewhat feel the notes (sounds cliche)+(i know the hear myself part is all eq but i just threw it out there :ninja:)

@seamonkey : the standards part has been tried by others more experienced than me (there are some guidelines in the FAQ by..dont know the username but has a Mandy (grim adventures of billy and mandy) avatar)

asked the question about the hartke cabinet because i tend to think the

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    +1 on strings, much cheaper way to experiment with tone than cabinets. Nickel rounds on a hex core might get you closer to where you want to be than flats.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    That's called moving air and has little to do with being heard in a mix. IMHO. If you're moving air and still can't hear yourself then you need more lowmids/mids and everyone else is to loud.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hawaiian_Punch-punchy.

Hey... it's friday.

10. must have missed something ..

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've always found that this is the best way to get more punch.

[​IMG]

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    On topic, I don't know about that Peavey head, but I've never really though of Peavey tone as "punchy." I find the low end a little loose. If the 450 has a graphic eq, I'd bet you can get further with "punchiness" from the eq than from an additional cabinet.

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    ""strings - fender flatwounds
    playing with a pick

i dont know how it is called but i want to hear myself distinctly but not on top of everyone else and somewhat feel the notes""

Flatwounds are not a very articulate or bright sounding string, you are much better with roundwound or nickelwound strings. If you want a vintage tone, stick with the flatwounds. Otherwise, new strings would most likely solve your issue. Roundwounds with bring out the pick attack a lot more plus give you twangier midrange. If that is a word....Ha!

I was incorrect about the pickups because I confused them with some Dimarzio pickups. Regardless, the pickups put out plenty of midrange so no problem with them.

Hearing yourself in the band context but not over everyone generally happens in the 200hz to 600hz zone. I play two Spector basses that are thick sounding in that zone. A little boost on the amp (in the 450hz zone) goes a long way to making this section of tone stick out on stage without killing the rest of the band. There usually is a magic zone that your bass can occupy and not kill anyone else. In rock music, a bass with a good midrange presence will win almost any day. The more keyboard effects, reggae influences, rap/hip-hop stuff, the more you can focus in the low mids 150-300hz and the low end below 80hz. Just a general statement, of course there are exceptions. But just keep in mind that if you are going to setup your tone to match the guitars - you will not be able to hear yourself nor will the audience. The low mids in general are easier to boost on bass because basses are much thicker sounding here than guitars. It's pretty much the easiest way to cut throuhg in a band. A boost at 200hz (not a crazy one) will work wonders. Too much and you will annoy everyone!

14. god bless:D