Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would This Look "Cheep" or "Tacky"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I allready have a 1/4" Flame maple bookmatched top that I'm going to drop over a Mahogany body. I want to dye the flame top black and the back will be solid black and a nitro-lacquer finish to both.
    I do not want to burst the black over the top.
    The question: Would it look cheep or tacky if I were to seperate the two woods with a paint line?. It would be buried under the clear and not visible in any reflections. Thus eliminating any binding and exposing a slight bit of the flame grain on the edge.
    Ya/No/Maybe ?:confused:

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    beauty / cheapness / tackiness is all in the eye of the beholder.

Proof? Some people love the Bongo, others hate it. Me? I want one in metallic copper but could never see myself liking one in a traditional solid color like black, red, white, etc ...

All the best,

R

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Ya I like the look of that, but without the binding.
    [​IMG]

Hambone, I didn't want a pinstripe I ment stop the solid color with a nice clean edge.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    since you want solid black into a dyed black top. i see no reason why it wont look good.

6. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    If I was to clear the top before I mask for the black the solid paint would not leach under the tape into the top wood and maybe produce a crisper line.:)

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Warmoth uses masking to great effect. They mask both stain, and sprayed finishes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some tricky masking on this Benavente-Divinity too:
    [​IMG]

8. wow, i kinda like that look, that black on blue looks killer, minus the binding

9. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Ya I just found this finish transition.
    [​IMG]