Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this make a good LOW END cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    While PA cabinets can handle a bass, they usually don't sound as good as a cabinet that is optimized for a bass. Yeah a Meyer PA cab would sound great ( it would sound great just blowing your nose through it) but this is a Carvin. Did you check out the weight on that puppy? Almost as heavy as a SVT cabinet. And it would lack punch. ITs voiced for vocals and the whole spectrum of music which means the juicy frequencies that bring out the best in a bass are subdued on purpose so the cab will sound smooth and even.
    My .02 would be: for free, yes. In an emergency, use it. For purchase? No. Trust me, you'll be happier with a bass cabinet

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've tried running my bassamp through some carvin PA speakers and they were not as deep as I thought they would be being and 15" with 2 8" speakers and a horn.

take advantage of their 10 day return. you might have to pay shipping one way.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Carvin has infinitely better specs than most bass cabs. That said, it won't sound the same as what you're used to. Whether you'll like it or not can't be anticipated. I prefer a flat, uncolored speaker system so that I can hear the tone of my bass, not the tone of the speaker, but that's me.
    That's probably because your perception of deep is colored by your experience with bass cabs that don't have true deep bass, but rather an exaggerated lower midbass response.
    Carvin uses the same Eminence drivers that are found in about 80% of the cabs made today, and uses the same T/S cabinetry design protocols found in 90% of the cabs made today. Just because they don't cost as much as an automobile doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.
    Possibly, but most players would find something half that size very adequate for their needs. There are plenty of used PA cabs in music stores that you could audition to see what works for you before you decide on what to buy.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I gigged with a guy who was running a Carvin 2x18 PA cab alongside a modern 4x10. Sounded really really big!

But that said, the thing weights 130lbs and doesn't have tiltback casters. Its not designed to get moved around, its more for a permanent PA installation, so its not real practical.

An SWR Big Bertha would probably serve you a lot better.

5. A SWR Big Bertha would be fine... but, it isn't very easy to find an affordable 2x15 cabinet. $700 for an Eden is about the best deal, but I have yet to play through one.

For strictly cosmetics, I would prefer to get an Ampeg SVT 2x15.... but, that would be just as large & bulky as a PA cab. AND MORE MONEY.

I am trying to find a 'bang for my buck' cabinet... sometimes, it is just too hard. I am already running a 4 ohm cab, so I want to get another 4 ohm (as opposed to a pair of 1x15 8 ohms).

I will gladly accept all suggestions about what might be best.

thanks, henry

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    This cab is 549.99 direct (plus you have to pay shipping and tax if you are in CA). Is $100-150 really a deal breaker for you? The Eden 215 would blow doors on this carvin.

If I were you I'd locate some 2x12s and 2x15s and try a few out in shops ... then if you have to save up some more ... just wait and save and get a cab thats really going to work for you.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Get the Carvin BRX12, much better than a PA speaker. Goes down to 30hz, 83lbs.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably not. They're both bass reflex cabinets loaded with two 15s of likely similar quailty. The Carvin is larger, which would allow it deeper extension. The Carvin also has two 8s for the midrange, which the Eden lacks, a far more powerful HF horn, and greater power handling overall. On paper at least the Carvin has the superior specs.

That said, the advice to try some stuff out is valid. All the opinions in the world aren't worth squat compared to plugging in and playing, especially if you've already got one cab and want to add another. The sweetest rig in the world could be totally incompatable with what you've already got.

9. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I own a pair of these Carvins but, I don't use them for a bass rig, that's not what they were designed for. These are excellent bi-ampable PA speakers, that aren't out to kick another brands butt. I've had my pair for about 8years and used them for home theater/music room use and outdoor PA support. Sure, I play my bass thru them, but not without hooking up a pair of 18" subs to augment the lower end And, you should see them glow at night! :hyper: