Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this old design fly in the 21st century?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I posted about this bass before in the "blast from the past" thread. It's one I built in the 70's that recently resurfaced. Now I'd like your opinions on this question:

I'm thinking about resurrecting the body style. Would you buy a bass that looked like this now, in 2004, or is the look too dated to be of interest? I think if I were to make more of this style I would at least have to lengthen the upper horn a bit, as it neck-dives enough to be irritating.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    change the pickup layout and the upper horn and you have a winner!

3. I like it.
    But im always a fan of the more older styles than alot of the new stuff you see being produced nowadays.

I love the style..headstock, body and everything...however only thing i would think of changing is the pickup style..for some reason P/J just doesnt look right on that bass (IMO)
    Put some kind of humbuckers on it however...and i think it would be really rockin.

4. I really like that style too. Humbuckers would be awesome on that bass.

5. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    something like this?

6. That looks great IMO. :hyper:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Almost has an Alembic look, i think it would work as is or with some horn adjustments.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I like it alot. I'm not a fan of cream colored pickups, but if you went with black pups, I'd like it alot. I agree with the person that said this has an Alembic look to it. Instead of changing the horns, would a 32" scale change the neck enough to avoid neck dive?

9. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Not a bad idea. Also some Ultralite tuners would probably help a lot. The old ones are massive Schallers that weigh about 1/4 pound each.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That body shape looks oddly familiar...

[​IMG]

I say go for it. Move the pickups, cut the headstock off, add a trem bridge and you're all set!

11. Nah, you gotta keep those massive frying pan like tuners..they rock. :cool:

Id definitely be interested in a bass like this. Very cool idea. :)

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sweet, yea, I think you could have a real winner here. I just bought a 32" scale 6-string this spring and I've got to say that I love the feel of the shorter neck. I know that longer is better for sound, but I haven't felt that 32" has had a negative impact on my bass.

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Oh man, 32" scale and I think I want one! The bass looks like an alembic with a touch of the old Kramers (450B, 650B), which I really like!

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    31.640" is where the party's at my friend.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Since you're asking, I do think it's dated, and dated or not, I never liked that kind of taper on horns. Or the headstock. It does look better w/ the soapbars, due to position as much as anything else, probably. Just my taste.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm not a fan of the small-body Alembics, the old shape Smiths, Carvins, or of those Steinberger Spirits.

As you know, I really like that last amber bass you did, though.

16. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I saw that was the scale for Fury basses. How does that sound on the E string, especially when you use the D-tuner bridge? I'd love to try one (own one?).