Would this old design fly in the 21st century?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I posted about this bass before in the "blast from the past" thread. It's one I built in the 70's that recently resurfaced. Now I'd like your opinions on this question:

I'm thinking about resurrecting the body style. Would you buy a bass that looked like this now, in 2004, or is the look too dated to be of interest? I think if I were to make more of this style I would at least have to lengthen the upper horn a bit, as it neck-dives enough to be irritating.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    change the pickup layout and the upper horn and you have a winner!

3. I like it.
    But im always a fan of the more older styles than alot of the new stuff you see being produced nowadays.

I love the style..headstock, body and everything...however only thing i would think of changing is the pickup style..for some reason P/J just doesnt look right on that bass (IMO)
    Put some kind of humbuckers on it however...and i think it would be really rockin.

4. I really like that style too. Humbuckers would be awesome on that bass.

5. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    something like this?

6. That looks great IMO. :hyper:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Almost has an Alembic look, i think it would work as is or with some horn adjustments.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I like it alot. I'm not a fan of cream colored pickups, but if you went with black pups, I'd like it alot. I agree with the person that said this has an Alembic look to it. Instead of changing the horns, would a 32" scale change the neck enough to avoid neck dive?

9. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Not a bad idea. Also some Ultralite tuners would probably help a lot. The old ones are massive Schallers that weigh about 1/4 pound each.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That body shape looks oddly familiar...

[​IMG]

I say go for it. Move the pickups, cut the headstock off, add a trem bridge and you're all set!

11. Nah, you gotta keep those massive frying pan like tuners..they rock. :cool:

Id definitely be interested in a bass like this. Very cool idea. :)

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sweet, yea, I think you could have a real winner here. I just bought a 32" scale 6-string this spring and I've got to say that I love the feel of the shorter neck. I know that longer is better for sound, but I haven't felt that 32" has had a negative impact on my bass.

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Oh man, 32" scale and I think I want one! The bass looks like an alembic with a touch of the old Kramers (450B, 650B), which I really like!

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    31.640" is where the party's at my friend.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Since you're asking, I do think it's dated, and dated or not, I never liked that kind of taper on horns. Or the headstock. It does look better w/ the soapbars, due to position as much as anything else, probably. Just my taste.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm not a fan of the small-body Alembics, the old shape Smiths, Carvins, or of those Steinberger Spirits.

As you know, I really like that last amber bass you did, though.

16. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I saw that was the scale for Fury basses. How does that sound on the E string, especially when you use the D-tuner bridge? I'd love to try one (own one?).