Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this rack and cab setup work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Jun 1, 2002.

1. I still don't understand ohms and watts and I'm not asking anyone to explain it to me. I want an amp setup that will suit my needs and allow me to get loud enough with overhead. Would an Ampeg svp-pro head (or svp-bsp, if it's the same type thing) running through a QSC RMX1450 power amp and into an Ampeg BSE410HLF work? The RMX1450 runs 450W @ 4 ohms and the Ampeg cab can handle 400W RMS. Will I need to get a different cab? If so what kind and where can I find one aroundt the same price as the BSE410HLF? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you do a search, you will find that it doesn't matter how many watts you put into a cab as long as you don't push it. I am putting 900 watts bridged into my Aguilar 2x10", it can handle 350.

3. the RMX 1450 will run 1400 Watts BRIDGED into 4 ohms, 900 into 8 ohms. So that should be plenty for your cab, no matter which ohm it is rated. Just dont blow the speakers :)

4. I understand the headroom argument but I have a compelling argument in the other direction. For me it makes the most sense to have speakers that can handle the maximum output of your amp not vice versa.

Why you ask. Because I have children who like to twirl knobs. If a kid "accidentally" kicked the volume on your 900w power amp up your 350w cabinet would be toast.

Just my .02

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I don't think I would let young kids get close enough to my rig (powered by an RMX 1850HD) to twiddle the knobs! They could permanently damage their hearing, not to mention the speakers.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that is why I like to check my stuff out before banging away... No offense

But to under power cabs can be damaging.. when you aren't getting sufficient power and continously crank up the amp.. you will eventually start to clip and get a nasty distortion from your amp that will rip your speakers to pieces... headroom is a blessing