1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would this work for my price range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cpconley, May 1, 2006.

1. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    Ok, well, a while ago I had a topic that asked whether or not a combo amp could be used in a band, and all the responses I got pointed to a head and cab combo that costs way too much. I was looking around and might have found something that would work with my price range.

This head: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=481324

and this cab: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601054

The cab is low end GK, I know, but I just want to know if it can handle it, at least it's not a behringer or something worse.

Oh and my price range was 450-650 if anyone wanted to know.

2. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    concerning the cabs if you have to have 4x10..yamaha..or www.avatarspeakers.com both make a 4x10 near 300$, as does ashdown. im pretty sure that on this forum both ashdown and avatar speakers are looked on as quality..yamaha...yeah i have no clue. but yeah.. only reason i'm recomending this other gear is because i've read and heard terrible things about the GK backline cab series..at least the 4x10. but yes..back to your quistion. that cab could handle the head, as well as the yamaha 4x10 (if you didn't push it all the way), and so could any avatar cabinet i believe.

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    The answer, again, is yes but notice the rating on that amp:

450W/330W/200W @ 2/4/8 ohms

So that 8 ohm cab will only get 200 watts.
    Since this head is 2 ohm stable, you could get a 4 ohm cab, get 330 watts from the head, and still add a cab down the road without having to upgrade your head.

(This is just my opinion but if I were looking for a $300.00 4x10, I'd grab the Avatar. That thing is rated to handle alot of power so when you decide to upgrade the power section of your rig, your cab will handle it without problems.
    As far as the power section, I bought my first real amp used on ebay. If you're on a budget, shop used. Again that's IMO!)

Keep us posted,

Chad

4. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    well i think i will keep the head and look for a different cab if thats the case. i prefer new items over used, that is imo as well. but thank you for the help!

5. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
  6. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    +1 I know the feeling. I prefer new vs. used as well.

Good luck,

Chad

7. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    i'm only assuming the head is ok, i'm not too familiar with genz-benz.