1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this work...help really appreciated

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I play metal, Sep 29, 2009.

1. OK well I got a GBE 1200 here used and hopefully 2 Genz benz ls 115's and plan to order a new genz benz uber 810 also.

My question...you think I could daisy chain to 2 115's(300W each @ 8 ohms each=4 ohm load) and then the uber 810 at 4 ohms(1200 watt max) out the other output??

Never knew much bout ohm loads etc but re-learning it.So maybee someone here can lemme know if this would work.Is it too much for that amp?seems to me she should work...

I like SOUND!!:bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would it work? Sure. Would I do it? No. I'd get two Uber 810's instead for maximum ass-whoopage.

3. But I'm a guy that neeeds 15's man.so I think 2 GB 115's should do...and a new uber 810 shoooould cutter.

Thx man....you think the headroom would be there??and good oomph??

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't get me wrong...I love 115's and I use them often. But I'm just not a big fan of mixing cabs like that. I know some folks do it and it sounds great but I'm not into it. An 810 is way louder, and since the Uber is ported, it'll go as low as most 15" cabs. So it usually ends up with the 810 carrying the gig and the 215 sort of humming along in the background (or in my case, scale it down to 410 and 115), just audible enough to mess with the tone of the 810. Other people love it, so who am I to question it? But that's my opinion.

5. You got a good point man and I tend to agree...but GB 115's arent average as ya know haha.Just something bout that 115(or 2 115's for mwa ha) BASS.
    You really think two GB 115's will trail the ub 810??It's a baaadass 810 I hear.
    I just cant see 2 810's matching the sub lows of an 810 and 2 115's.I dunno.Either way I think I'll be heard...or better yet FELT.
    I appreciate your advice bro.

6. Yeah, it'll work, but as Jimmy said, the 8x10 will bury the 15's.
    If you didn't know, the idea that 15's somehow go lower than 10's has been show to be false- it's about cabinet+speaker matching, really. Expert designers here will tell you that.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Genz Benz only has one 115 in production and I couldn't find the specs for the ones you want, but it's got the same specs on the bottom end as the Uber 810, so the two 115's wouldn't give you any advantage in that area. I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm just saying I'd go for two Uber 810's instead.

8. I hear ya guys for sure...soo you think it's even worth the 115's??(benz 15's remind you).I've done alot of homework and actualy never used a true 810 soo doesnt mean much.I can see it louder then the 15's but dam...I think those 15's are gonna be felt ya know?

would you honestly omit the 15's all together and go with two 810's??

h BTW-I'm goin for a pair of used older ls benz 15's off here.There discontinued.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm sure the used 115's are great cabs. I could be talked into buying them if I were in the market and the price was right. And unless you're playing insanely loud metal in very large venues, it's probably plenty of cab. But it sounds like you're going for insanely loud metal so yeah, if I were trying to kill babies with volume, I'd go two 810's every time.

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    In full range bass rigs with different sized speakers, the smaller, lighter drivers respond more quickly than the larger, heavier ones resulting in a slightly out-of-phase sound (kind of like a drummer's sticks hitting a snare head slightly out-of-time).

In full range bass rigs with the same sized speakers all of the drivers respond at once resulting in an in-phase sound (like a drumer's sticks hitting a snare head at the same time).

It's the difference between a FLAM, and a BAM!

11. sooo I'm thinking 2 UB 810's.jeeesus lord that's a badass rig with a gbe 1200!!
    And yeah I play metal(hence the name here) mainly but lotsa funk and rock if I were to use genre labels.

soo 2 810s will generally be punchier with the same LOW end??

well thx dudes...might just do that!!

12. Well.........I'm pretty sure Bill F. would disagree with you there.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Uber 810? Absolutely. Now if it were a sealed cab, I'd say no, but it's ported and that adds a lot of low end that sealed cabs don't have. I'd buy them one at a time, though...you might find that one of them is plenty. You don't need to buy an arena sized rig to play metal at local clubs and theaters. Cliff Williams does AC/DC with only two 810's, you know?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bill would think we were all nuts for using more than a single column of full-range speakers anyway ;) Let me try to take care of his light work...he can set us straight if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am...

All speakers respond at the same speed. The difference is the dispersion pattern of the speakers. 10"s have a wider mid and high dispersion pattern, so they give the impression of sounding "quicker" than 15"s. And it's these different dispersion patterns that ultimately can cause phasing issues when mixed.

15. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I was always a guy that used 15s and 18s to get the job done. Once I played through an 810 I learned that 15s and 18s aren't what I thought they were. The 810 crushes the 15s and leaves them as nothing more than a distant rumble.

16. Hmmm makes me really think.The reviews of the UB 810 are crazy good.Naturally I think one will do but this guy likes BIG rigz!!

But think I've changed my mind now.I thought the same as abover but just love 15's half cuz there old benz and the sheer look and thunder of a coupla 15's.haf ego really haha

Thx guys...

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If the guy wants you to buy that big of a rig, tell him to buy it for you. Till then, buy the rig that you want.

And don't get me wrong...I'm not against those 115's. I think those would also make a pretty cool rig by themselves. Wouldn't be able to run them as loud as the 810, but they would still get very loud.

18. yeah there's no pressure on me I* lovve big rigz....just want the best scenario.I've done 15's for years and would like a change and those dam GB ub 810's looks MEAN!!

hooowa!

19. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you choose to run your rig that way, be sure you set the PowerFlex switch on the back of the amp to the 2 ohm position.

Regarding differences in "speed", there is a difference in response that results in (typically) the heavier (cone) and larger speaker to roll off in the high end earlier but this has nothing (really) to do with quickness.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm all about a look, so I'm down with that. It's an expensive look, but it ain't my money so have fun :bassist: