would this work or sound OK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bourzia, Jan 6, 2005.

1. bourzia

Dec 17, 2004
    MXR M80 DI+ > QSC RMX 850 > Ampeg 810

my question is mostly about useing th MXR as the preamp directly into the power amp

thanks in advance for help and opinions
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    will it work? yes. will it work well? i dunno. A lot of it depends if the mxr will put out a signal hot enough to let the power amp operate at its maximum potential. For example, the sans amp bass driver sounds almost the same as the sans amp rackmount preamp. However, the bass driver puts out a weaker signal than the preamp so when using it with a poweramp you won't get as loud as with the sans amp preamp or other rackmount preamps. Tech 21 will modify the bass driver so it puts out a much hotter signal so you can use it as a stand alone preamp. Having said that, i have a stewart 2.1 which is a pretty powerful poweramp. There are times when i have used my sans amp bass driver as a preamp with it and done just fine. I can never turn the stewart up all the way with a regular preamp (or the bass driver for that matter), because it would fry my speakers in an instant. I just have to turn the stewart up a bit more when i use the bass driver.
  3. bourzia

Dec 17, 2004
    thanks IvanMike

yea thats what I was kinda wondering, if the MXR would send a hot enough signal. I read reviews of people bypassing their pre amps and going directly into effects return/power amp in.
    I don't need much as far as a preamp is concerned for my new band because 90% of my bass lines are thru a synth effect but I need some serious volume.