Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would this work?/question/ponderings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cods, May 9, 2004.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i have a conkling gt-7(7 string), and i don't know if my ampeg 4x10 can handle those really high notes on my seven, and it's going to be a really long time before i can get my dream cab(accugroove el whappo, which will handle the upper strings/frets), so i was wondering...

is it would be possible for me to get a 2x12 16 ohm(because my cab operates at 4 ohms) guitar cabinet, and hook it up to my 4x10, so it can handle the high end?

what is bi-amping?

*realizes you are going to tell me to search for it*

*searches*

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *searched for it*

can you bi-amp with any cab/head, or does your cab/head need special stuff?

what do i need to bi-amp?

3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *searched*

ok...you can. but will the 16 ohms/4 ohms thing work?

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    To bi-amp you need an external crossover of some type (usually electronic/active) and two amplifier channels, one for lows and one for highs.

They are used between the preamp and the power amp chnls.

You can get a seperate crossover to use (Ashly, Coustic).
    Some amps have both the crossover built in and two amp chnls. (several G-K heads); some have a crossover and only one amp chnl. (Mesa M-2000); some preamps have a crossover built in (G-K 2001RBP).

A lot of people who have use external ones say they are not worth the cost and effort (and can be harmful to other equipment -- I think mostly amps).

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You would be driving 16ohm with one amp and 4ohm with the other amp.
    As long as the amps can handle the impedence, no problems.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Instead of answering your questions about the cab and bi-amping, I'm going to jump right to the root of your problem.....

there is *NO* reason that a Ampeg 4x10 can't handle the "high notes" on your GT-7. If you'll look, the frequency response of that cab will be MILES above the frequencies of the notes you'll be playing.

If you have any doubt about this, ask John Turner. He plays 8 string basses (one note higher than your GT-7), and last time I heard he was playing through a Hartke 4x10 cabinet.

7. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    ah. thanks.
    i was just worrying/thinking about this because the school talent show is tuesday, and i have a solo(invlolving the 23rd fret of the F string) in the song i'm playing, but i have yet to really play loud with the gt-7.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    You will be just fine :)

9. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    no problem...

i play my six string using a 200 watt trace elliot head, and a 1x15 warwick cab, and can play 4-note chords up the neck without any problem...

10. Check the link in my signature. All the way down, there's a table with base frequencies of the bass guitar. You'd have to play through a pure subwoofer to not be able hear the highest notes. 4x10 cabs range to at least 3,000 Hz.