1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this work? (signal splitting question)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman1185, Nov 28, 2006.

1. I play in a hardcore/metal band, and I use distortion of some kind about 95% of the time. As a result, I sometimes have issues with losing the bottom end in my sound. I was thinking of ways to split my signal to retain a clean sound with plenty of bass.

My question is this: would it work to run my bass into a Morley A/B splitter box, and then take one output from that and put it through all my effects into a small mixer and the other line straight into the mixer, into my amp?

The signal would look something like this:

Bass->-A/B->-effects->-mixer->-amp
    \__>__>__>__/

Would this work or would I be running into phasing issues?

2. Ok, that bottom line was supposed to go from the A/B box to the mixer, but apparantly the forums won't let you put in a series of spaces.

3. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    There are a ffew parallel effects loop/blender pedals out there that will allow you to blend your clean signal with your distortion pedal. I don't have any links off=hand but if you do a search for effects loop blender pedals you should get a few hits.

Take care,

Glenn

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Other than blended loopers and stuff, that would work. You can also acomplish the same thing (for the most part) with a couple of Y cable splitters.

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    a better solution might be to bi-amp....running the low signal dry and the high signal wet. works with outstanding results.

6. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO

+1

This has worked very well for me.

7. Yeah, I know that bi-amping is the ideal solution to the problem, but it's not really an option for me. I don't have a head that will allow me to do that.

8. if you are getting an a/b/y splitter box make sure you do some research. they are not all created equal. some will suck your tone. if you do a search on this board there have been some threads about this topic. you don't have to spend a ton of money but if you go for the cheapest it's likely you'll be disappointed. personally, i like the startouch.

9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I'd get a blender of some sort, or to keep things real simple, just get a distortion pedal that doesn't lose any low end. They exist. :)

10. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    Boss LS2 will do the trick

11. Jc575

Jc575

Feb 18, 2002
    Whitestone, NY
  12. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I essentially run my signal the way you diagramed.

bass to a/b, (a) goes to preamp/mixer, (b) goes through effects then to mixer, out to amp. This is especially handy when you'd like get that saturated effects tone, just use line(b). Otherwise you can mix the two to keep your low end and tone.

Good luck.

13. So you don't run into phasing issues with a setup like that?

14. Zeemno

Zeemno

Feb 15, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    That depends on the effects you will be using. Some effects introduce phase shifts (like eq's or some gain stages). If you happen to be very unlucky, those might sum up to something near 180 deg and then you will be wondering, why this setup didn't give you the expected results.

A thing to remember is that phase shift is frequency dependant. You could end up with only the highs shifted for instance. Thats why you will never cancel your signal totally out. (*) Most prominent signs of a phase-issue are a nasal, hollow sound with little/no lows.

(*) Unless you get a flanger with TZF ability! :D

But that is a worst case scenario!

If you want to be totally sure, get a custom made active ABY and ask the builder to add a phase switch. He will only need one half of an op-amp to do it, no biggie. Then you just check, on which switch position it sound best and you're ready for some serious headbangin' ! :bassist:

Hope this helps! If I happen to talk garbage here, please do clarify! :help:

John

15. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Yes that'll work :)

Else buy a Barge Concepts VFB-2! Best pedal I've had my hands on next to my Aphex Punch Factory ;)

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I ordered a VFB-2 from Barge Concepts as well, for the sake of running parallel clean/dirty channels without having to buy two amps.

I should be getting mine this week, but from the reviews I've seen on TB, I have plenty to look forward to :)

Xotic Effects makes a pricey, but feature-packed blend pedal, and Radial makes an inexpensive one (the BigShot MIX).

17. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    +1 on the LS2 (in a+b mode)
    then each of the controls act as volumes for the clean and effected sounds individually.