Would this work?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have a longscale set of strings I'd like to put on my sg if I can. I think the d and g would be ok, but how about the e and a based on these pictures? It can't be good to have so much of the fat part of the e string wrapping around the post, right?

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A string

Attached Files:

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Should be fine. I've used reg. Scale on short scale bass no problems.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It's not ideal, but it'll work - your E-string generally isn't big enough to cause issues when the full wind is wrapped around the post.

5. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I've had the "fat part" wrapped around the post many times. Never considered it an issue, or noticed any difference! Maybe I'm just dense.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    On larger strings (B-strings and beyond, mostly), the wind radius is too small and puts excessive pressure on the core. I actually broke a .222" string this way because I forgot the scale was shorter and wasn't paying attention during string installation.

Supposedly it can lead to intonation issues as well, but I haven't convinced myself on the physics of that claim yet.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Worked out just fine.

They're discontinued daddario stainless steel halfrounds. A guy in the classifieds had brand new sets lying around for 20 years. I hate the current nickel halfrounds but these are fantastic strings.

Attached Files:

8. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Looks fine, glad it worked.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Not ideal but obviously you see that it does work.

It all depends on the string type, you usually wont have the problem with MOST rounds. You get into a problem when you cut into the full wound section.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021