Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would this work???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mr e, Jan 27, 2004.

1. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    a friend (gainesvillebands.com) has asked:

So, in trying to overhaul my bass rig, the idea was brought up to use a Crown power amp.

I use a Tech 21 Sansamp anyway to make my current rig sound better--could I use it as a preamp, and then just use the Crown for power?

The one I'm looking at is the CE2000 Power Amp, which should be something like 1900 watts when bridge at 4 ohms. That should be more than enough clean power to run a few cabs, say two 4x10's. It's not technically a bass power amp, but power is power, right? And my understanding is that w/ bass amps, driving the power section isn't that important (unlike the power section of a tube guitar amp.) Does this sound like it would work? Thanks!

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    People run power amps as their bass rig amps all the time on here. The Sansamp BDDI will work, but in stock form, the XLR MIGHT not provide enough voltage to get the power amp to go to full volume. There is a simple fix on here if you really need to fix, and we can track it down. I would try it and see how well it works before doing the modification, because it may not be necessary. I am not certain if the 1/4" output has a higher voltage than the XLR as it stands, but I think it might.
    Wes

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I currently use a Crown CE1000 and a SansAmp RBI, which I understand is not to different from the BDDI, except for the fact that it has a mid-control and it is in a single rack space.

The power issue might need to be addressed, email their tech dept (you'll find the contact info on: www.tech21nyc.com). If your CE2000 has an input sensitivity selector on it, I would contact someone from Crown and see if this might be the panacea...

In theory, it sounds like it should, but I would check.