Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I want to purchase an Acme B-4W to use along with an Eden D210XLT. With my Stewart 2.1, I was planning on running it in stereo with 650 watts being sent to the B-4W and 400 watts sent to the D210XLT. My question is would 650 watts for a B-4W get adequate results on stage and do you think that I'd be able to get a good mix between the two cabinets and be able to have adequate headroom?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    In my opinion, 650 watts is going to be a little too little for a B4-W. However, if you don't play all that loud, it might be enough. The channel with the Eden is going to be turned way down tough.

My similar situation involved a 4 ohm B2, an 8 ohm EVM 15L and a PLX2402. The band that I played in was way too loud...I had one channel cranked into the Acme (725 watts) and the other channel turned way down on the EVM and the EVM was louder.

3. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It's a shame. Andy makes such great sub cabinets, but their ineffeciency makes them hard to pair with non-Acme cabinets. It seems like my only other option is to get another power amp and push a B-4W and 1400 watts and smaller power amp can push a D210XLT at 350 watts. Would this work?

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The key question is why you want to do this? I presume you want the Eden tone but added bottom. However, until you hear the fullrange Acme sound you don't know if you'd prefer that.

If I were you I'd order the standard B4, not the woofer version, in 4 ohms, and try powering it with the Stewart bridged to deliver all 2100W. I power a pair of B2s with 1800W from my PLX3002 and they go very loud and sound amazing.

Alex

5. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I've just never been able to cut through with my B-2 through a loud rock mix. Not even when cranking the mids.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sure it would work. Are you sure that you need the low, lows that the Acme will produce? While it would sound awesome at home, it might create problems on the band stand by adding too much low frequency info to the room...

7. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, but then I could cut the resonant frequencies.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well firstly, cutting through a loud rock mix is asking a lot of one B2. Secondly, judging by the rig you've referenced in the other threads, I don't see how you can be cranking your mids: the Alembic pre only cuts them, and you're playing a passive Jazz bass. Unless I'm missing something!

Add another B2 and a less scooped preamp and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Alex

9. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a Rane PE-17 in my rig.