Would this work...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Is there any possible way to do this? I am running a nemesis 2x10 combo and using a mesa 4x10 as an ext cab from the combo. Is there anyway to add a power amp into the "equation" so that the amp in the 2x10 combo is powering just the 2x10's in that combo, and the power amp is powering the 4x10? And is there a way to do that and still use the EQ of the 2x10 combo??

Thanks Graham.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There ought to be, though I'm not an expert on that particular combo. If it has a line out (not a speaker or amp out), which it should, take that into a power amp (not an intrument head, which contains a preamp, but just a power amp) and use that amp to power the 4-10.
  3. oh, my 2x10 combo has these "jacks" on the back. A tuner jack, an FX loop, ext. speaker out, and a post EQ line out for recording or going direct to PA....that type of thing....

Now, is there any way to do that?
  4. Run a cable from the line out of the combo into a power amplifier's input jack. Connect the Mesa to the power amplifier's speaker jacks.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Use the post-EQ line out. Take that to the in of your external power amp.

If you're doing this in a situation where you might simultaneously need to use that line out for recording/PA, do this:

Go from the line out to a direct box. If the box has a switch for line vs. instrument signal, set it to line. Take the XLR output of the DI to the recording or PA mixer, then take the 1/4" output of the DI to your external power amp.

But if you're just playing the amp and don't have to hook into anything else, do what I said first. It's simple, right?
  6. yep...simple as pie.
    Thanks alot guys. Also, the cab can handle 600 watts RMS(8 ohm cab) but i only need to be pushing it with like 250 watts(or more is fine) what can i get in the range for cheap(again, the amp must be 250 watts or more @ 8 ohms...)?

Also, with this type of power amp as opposed to a head, will i experience any problems or anymore distortion then usual?

Oh, and are these power amps(ie:carvin, etc...) what you would use if you did a rack setup w/ seperate poweramp, preamp, etc...?? In other words, are these "PA" power amps ok for bass cabinet use?
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    You can get a Carvin DCM600 (600 watts into 4 ohms) new for pretty cheap. something like 300 or 400 dollars i forget. It never hurts to have more power than you need.

The "ideal" power amp does not color the sound at all, just takes a signal and makes it more powerful. However, in the real world all power amps color the sound, some more than others. Of course some people like the coloration of say, a tube amp. Some people pay tons of money for ultra hi-fi amps that color the sound very little. It's really up to the buyer.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have the Nemesis NC 210 also my friend.. A lovely investment I must say... You have the jack for a mic cable No? Well stick a mic cable in that sucka and hook it up.. that is what I do.. Or you can run a chord from the headphones jack... or you could stick a 1/4 inchin into the output pre eq slot... that is beside the mic jack... That should work for you.