1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would This Work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutkn, Mar 20, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Hey,

I have finally decided on what head i am getting the GK 1001 rb ll, it is 460 watt into 8 ohm

Would a gk rbh 115 cab work with it because i read in another post someone using this but the cab says it 400watt and its 8 impendece or something. sorry i dont know all about these impendence things. can someone just tell me would this work. I am planning to add a rbh 410 in the future.

Thanks

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    most instrument speakers and PA speakers are either 4 or 8 ohms. speakers come with a wattage rating. this number lets you know roughly how much wattage it can handle. amps are rated for max output at certain "loads" if you have ONE 8 ohm speaker your "load" would be 8 ohms. amps usually have a "minimum" load rating, most instrument amps and PA amps can run safely at 4 ohms. that means you can run ONE 4ohm speaker or TWO 8ohm speakers. when two speakers are connected to the same output on one amp the "load" will be half the average ohm rating of each speaker.

a couple common places where people run into trouble is when they need more volume than the amp and/or speakers can provide for them. some people turn an amp up Wwwaaayyy too high and the amp clips or distorts. When this happens via the amp trying to play louder than it can DANGEROUSLY high electrical signals will go to the speaker and overheat the mechanism.

The other place people CAN run into problems is hooking up too many speakers and thus lowering the "load" on the amp BELOW its safe operating level. When this happens the amp can overheat maybe blowing a fuse or worse breaking electrical components inside and it will need to be repaired.

so again it should be safe for you to run ONE or TWO 8ohm speakers with the GK 1001RBII. Looking at the owners manual it seems to indicate that 4 ohms is the minimum. AGAIN this means that you can hook ONE 4ohm speaker ONLY or TWO 8ohm speakers ONLY.

Wattage ratings of speaker are not that critical, but a higher number on the speaker the better. most speakers available tend to be 250w or more.

have fun!

3. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    So if i buy the gk 1001rb ll it would work and if i add a rbh 410 in the future it would still work?

I am now leaning towards buying a gk 700rb ll and a gk 410sbx cab. But the 1001 is just a bit more expensive

What should i do?

4. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    i have decided i think im gonna get a gk 700rb ll. on the website it says it pairs up perfect with two sbx cabs. If i buy the 410 now and the 115 in the future how much watts will i pump out of each one and alltogether.

thanks

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ok, here is the weird part...the 700RB can put out 480w into 4ohms or 320 into 8ohms, the 1000RBcan put out 700w into 4ohms and 460w into 8ohms. if you like the GK sound already you might consider holding out until you can afford the 1000RB. more power in the long run is always nice to have...

I don't know why they didn't call them the 480 model and the 700 model...:rolleyes: wait a minute I DO :spit:

6. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    so what cab do you recommend me buy 1st if i get the 1001?peferbly in the sbx cabs because they are cheaper

7. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    would i be able to get a flea kinda sound with the gk1001 rb ll and a sbx 410 cab? but im just scared because the cab is 400 watt and the head gives 480 watt would a neo 212 be better but what sound do you get out of a 212