1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cuddlemonster, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Right now I'm playing a Douglas 6 string through an Ashdown head and into a Behringer paper cone 4x10. It sounds OK (at best), but it can't handle all the lows and it will be some time before I can upgrade.

SO, I've got an old Sound Tech 1x15 PA monitor/wedge with a blown speaker. If I were to replace the speaker with a bass speaker would it sound decent enough to use as an extension cab? And I'm not sure if it's true but I heard there was some sort of insulation type stuff you could put into subwoofer boxes to make them sound deeper and nicer, would that work in this case?

Thanks for any help in advance

2. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    What is your budget?
    What are your goals?
    The solution you are describing may not be the most cost effective or sonically pleasing way to go about it. I would need more info about your situation to make a useful suggestion.

3. Right now I've got no budget at all, even the speaker would take a few weeks to save for (I'm in a lot of debt) But I was hoping to just have a quick easy 1x15 to fatten up my sound a little.

Sorry if this was a dumb question to begin with

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The PA wedge is far too small for a bass cabinet. Don't waste any time or money trying.

5. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    +1
    Save up change for a year. Then buy a nice 210 or 410 cab. The behringer cabs donot operate well. I suggest you try the classifieds here and your local craigslist. I once bough an ampeg svt610 for $425 and have scene some nice 410 cabs for as little as $200. Look for an avatar 410 if you are on a tight budget.

Jonathan

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Listen to these responses. Dont waste your money. it is too hard to come by. Save up, then sell the behringer and put that $ with what you save and get an Avatar B212 or 410. Either will handle your lows(I PREFER THE 212) If you could save $200 and sell the Behr for $175-$200, you could get a brand new Avatar, or better yet find a used one in this forums classified amp section for less. Sell your behr in your local Craigslist. That way you dont have any fees to pay.