Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this work?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zirc, May 29, 2002.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Okay I got this idea earlier today, and I'm wondering if it would work. Check it out:

Equipment
    Lefty MIM Jazz
    Zoom 506 II Pedal
    Ampeg B2R Amp
    Two Cerwin Vega V152s (15 inch speaker, 10 inch tweeter)

Zoom Pedal
    Now, the reason why I use the zoom pedal is because it has a really good effect which makes my Jazz have lotsa lotsa lotsa growl (like a stingray).

Problem
    The effect on the Zoom pedal (C3 to any of you zoom 506 II users out there) has very little bass. Even when I turn the bass up on the amp head, I get bass, but it's not enough. I love the punchy tone, but I'm thinking the EQ has pretty much no bass on the effect in the zoom pedal (to make it growly, obviously).

Proposal
    I'm thinking of buying a little Bass EQ pedal and just moving the 50hz slider up a little. I'm thinking I'd get the great punchy growly tone, but a more bassy punchy growly tone with the EQ pedal added on.

Question
    Tell me whatcha think.

2. hmm...have you tried fiddling around with your tone knob? How about favoring the neck pickup over the bridge?...hmm, on second though, you'd probably get lots of hum from my second suggestion

You COULD buy an EQ, but make sure you place it BEFORE the Zoom...the only problem with the EQ is that you'll probably get a bit of added noise...

BTW...where did you get the Cerwin Vega's??? How are they? How mush $$$?

3. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I have a Zoom 506II that I used quite a bit for a while. I know C3. You can boost the bass in the
    Zoom in two ways. Set the left knob to 'EQ', and
    set it to a low number (10? See manual) and then
    set the left knob to 'Countour" and set it to a negative number for more bass boost.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Buying a new pedal is usually NEVER the right solution to a tone problem. If the EQ on the amp doesn't do the trick, why should an EQ pedal help?

The other suggestions are right on...try modifying patch C3 to use the EQ in the Zoom, try different control settings on your bass.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Heh, Yeah I got home and it sounds fine, I dunno why I needed more bass. More bass would just make it peak, I was just deaf or had GAS or something.

I personally love the Cerwin Vegas, I got em at Sam Ash for 375 a speaker. They are a 15 inch speaker with a 10 inch tweeter. It claims 40Hz to 30Khz which is an excellent range plus they are programmed at 300W RMS each. They work awesome for the punk bass I play.

The speakers were originally bought for a PA system, but then I learned more about equipment and just bought a B2R head and hooked em up.

For the range I get with these speakers, I think I'd prefer them over any bass cab.