Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this work...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I want to build my own cab. I probably won't for a LONG time, but I still fantasize about it. It will be pretty big. I don't know how many watts, but I know the speaker combination. see attached picture.

2x10, 2x12, 1x15, and one horn/tweeter.

How many watts should go through this thing do you think? First off, will it work, and be practical? I think it would give it a great balance of highs, sharp attack, bowel shifting lows, and lots of power. I think it would be really cool.

What do you all think? Any suggestions? It's not like I plan to do this in the near future, maybe in like a few years.

so...

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I hate to be a bugger, but if you don't know what you are doing it's probably gonna sound like crap.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know people who have said they will help me. People who know how to do this stuff. I know an elecrtical engineer who loves to do projects like this.

Yesterday when I was talking to merlin about this, he told me this techno babble that meant nothing to me, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I have the people to make this work. But I was just wondering... well look in my origional post to see what I am wondering.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I am not a techno wizard, but simple and practical. It would weigh a ton,( well over 150 LBS. probably around 200 give or take 20 or 30 LBS). And it would be the size of a small house. It would be feasable as a permanant stationary set up. Certainly nothing you would want to move around much.

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    since you asked, it could work, if you did it right, separate chambers for each speaker, or pair of speakers....as far as practicality goes, i dont think it would be practical at all. unless you have roadies. i bought a V-4B cab used, didnt mind the weight or size for the first 2 or 3 months, and now i never feel like moving it. a cabinet like youre suggesting would probably be just as big as the V-4B(48hx27wx24d) and weigh a heck of a lot more.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you will have to match the impedance of all combined speakers to get one that is usable, as well as 3-4 crossovers/attenuaters. will each speaker have its own compartment or one big box? where will you port each compartment? how will you port them? not to mention size weight and tone. best of luck but its going to be tough to make this concept work...

7. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    you'd probably be better off making at least 2 separate cabs.........

...just a thought.

Good Luck !! :)

PJR

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I was thinking of the weight and came up with
    this...

1 box with 2x10
    1 box with 2x12
    1 box with 1x15 and the horn

If I put all of them in a rack that I could disassemble and reassemble with some nuts and bolts, then I think it would be easily doable.

I could have the three parts separate, put them in the rack, close the rack, play, open the rack, take out the parts, and pack it up.

The different parts would be connected externally by cables.

9. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    just curious as to why you would want to haul the rack around as well as the cabs....i would think it would be easier to just haul the separate cabs themselves....they dont need a rack to stand up in, and they will be much more portable...unless you have a minivan(the only reason i can move my V-4B) or a cargo van, youre not getting that rack in a vehicle.

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    good point

NEW PLAN!!!!!

3 separate boxes placed on top of each other connected externally with XLR connecter thingys that merlin is talking to me about.

No need for a rack because they are heavy enough to be stable on their own.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why three cabs?

You'll get a weird total impedance.

Get a 1x15 and add a 2x10 (or 4x10)w/ tweeter. That's a proven great-working combination. You can also replace the 10s with 12s.

Simple = effective, especially if you're building your own cabs.

But you'll get better and cheaper gear by buying 2nd hand IMO.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i say replace the 15 with 12's. 10s are a beautiful thing for bass.

13. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Donnie Darko Rules! Nice sig stingrayguy!:p