1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would This Work?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beginner Bass, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I have been considering building my own bass for a while, but one big wall I've hit has been just the price. Most online sources seemed a little expensive.I was looking around Home Depot for a part and wandered over to the flooring section. I was looking around and saw some wood that looked very nice. Then I thought to try a it as building material. So I went home and took some measurements on my bass and figured that this wood was priced so I could make a bass with it for under $40 USD. That is about 1/3 of the most inexpensive source I had found online. But I wanted to be sure it would work for a bass before buying it. I know of course to look for wood with no knots, but if I could, would this work?

2. kuso

kuso

Feb 25, 2010
    Plymouth, MA
    Don't you mean "wood this work?" Hahaha. Anyways...

What type of wood are you looking at?

3. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Some Santos mahogany. 35.5" x 3.5" planks.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Select it according to regular selection criteria and then go for it. Flooring is usually pretty good, but inspect it carefully...

5. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Sorry, but what is the "Standard criteria"?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020