1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baron665, Apr 15, 2010.

1. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I have an Ampeg BA112 50 watt combo amp. I would like to know if I would be able to use the line out to a powered sub. I was thinking on buying a powered subwoofer to compliment the amp, making it a kind of a ghettoish mini stack. I would like some opinions on if anyone ever tried it (or something similar), and how it might sound. If I do end up getting it, I would like to know if I would be able to swap the speaker with one more suitable for bass guitar. I am willing to listen to any comments or suggestions. Yay or Nay?

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I don't use combo amps much but at least you have an Ampeg. You do have an external line out that can get to a mixer or another amp. You dont have an external input for a second speaker. I'd say maybe not but others here are more knowedgable than me with combos. For me I have the big Ampegs and it might be time for you to consider going to a seperate head and cab. This way you can expand much easier and the stuff re-sells better.

3. ttomom

ttomom

Mar 29, 2007
    I have a BA112 combo that I use solely as a basement practice amp and tried to plug the line out to a 210 cab to see what would happen and I got nothing out of it.

I did buy the BA112 used so for all I know the line out may have an issue, as I have had no other opportunity to use the line out for its intended purpose, but my experience is that it will not power an external cab through the line out.

4. a line out is not intended to power a cab..you need to run it to a power amp and speaker cab(or another combo) for it to work..

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The question concerns a POWERED sub. So yeah, you might actually get enough level out of the Ampeg to drive the sub. But I would discourage your idea of replacing its driver to make it usable for BG, that is unless its existing design is already 90% "there." I'd pass on this idea if I were you. Efforts like this typically turn out to be only interim ones a month or two down the road even though that's not what you were hoping for, and they'll ultimately disappoint you and leave you with less $$$ in your wallet with little to show for it. I assume you're talking about converting a hi-fi sub to a BG sub.

Also you have to make sure the aux cone(s) is/are running in phase with the main cone. It's a crucial step many people miss when they try this sort of thing and then they wonder what the heck's wrong. There's more than one way to verify final cone phasing but it MUST be done. There's probably a FAQ somewhere on this board.

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    This is very good advice. Listen to him.

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Yes - you could - but why not just get a bigger Ampeg bass rig?

8. This could be a pretty cool idea - add the powered sub for playing out.
    * If * the phases match up, and if the pair add up to a pleasing combination, and if the line-out from the BA112 is fat enough to drive the line-in on the sub. My experience with my two Ampeg combos is that the line-out is pretty weak. :eyebrow:
    The BA112 was a very nice combo the times that I tried it out in years past.
    I'm gonna stay posted to hear how it works if you try it.

Edit - is this a dedicated PA type sub, or a home theater one?

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The sub will only provide low volume, because it is probably designed for home theatre.

Also, it will only amplify thumps and extreme lows on the strings---neither of which is of any use in a live setting.

10. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I know that the line out is not a speaker out, so it's not going to power another bass cab. The sub I'm talking about is powered and is for either a PA or DJ setup. I was thinking of this for mainly practice with a loud drummer and guitarists, not for live gigs. I was also thinking, that if I were to use it live to get a sansamp or other DI to go between the line out and sub, if the signal is low. I just wanted opinions on if anyone else tried this. I got the idea looking at powered subs on Amazon, and I thought that it might be a good (not great) idea to turn my combo amp into a gigable mini stack, being both convenient and lightweight. As for the speaker swap (which I don't think I'll do anyway), I "was" thinking of using one from a PA cab.

11. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I thought this would be a lot cheaper. And I do plan on getting a bigger rig, just not sure if it's going to be an Ampeg or not.

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    > I was thinking of this for mainly practice with a loud
    > drummer and guitarists

I hate to "keep hitting you with these negative waves" (Oddball, from Kelly's Heroes) but you will derive no joy whatsoever from the result unless you stand so close to the sub that you can actually sense (as opposed to hear) it working; trust me, no one else will be able to detect it even being in the room. And the long shot of its actually contributing anything at all assumes you have a technically-valid procedure for phasing ready to implement once you connect the sub. (Do you?) Also what's the top end spec of this sub? If you're an average player with an average sound, much of your Ampeg's output is harmonics, i.e. many hundreds of Hz, and into the low thousands if you like a bit of brightness. Chances are the sub's pre-power-amp low-pass filter will kill that all off anyway. Save your money for a larger amp to replace the Ampeg.

13. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Here is a link to the sub in question. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Features: 12" power subwoofer system with crossover RCA Input 1,200 watts output Built in amplifier Adjustable crossover controls Sub controls Speaker volume, and balance controls Subwoofer volume controls Built in low pass crossover Impedance: 8 Ohms Die cast aluminum frame Power and Clipping LED's Dual pole mount 2 carry handles 3" voice coil Stackable 90 Oz huge magnet 53 pounds 16 3/4" W x 19 1/2" H x 17 1/2"D 110/220 volt switchable 12" woofer Frequency Response: 30 HZ - 300 HZ Sensitivity: 102 dB

14. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I had a very disappointing experience with a BA-112 and could only use it when practicing alone. I'm no headbanger, but I couldn't get enough sound out of it around any other instruments. Since you already have the amp, I can appreciate your wanting to use its half-decent tone controls for working a bigger rig when you need one. Can't say what would happen with that exact gear you're looking at, but I'd personally be inclined to go another way.

I really like my preamp/power amp layout for my "big rig" - not all too big, since I only play through a pair of 2x10's - but I sometimes wish that the preamp was a small head with a good tone. I could use it on its own for smaller settings and perhaps run its signal to a separate power amp when I need to be louder and drive more cones. In your case with the Ampeg, it would effectively be a heavy, bulky "tone maker" for those louder shows where you'd use a powered cab. I'm thinking that a small head could be a more flexible component.

My current practice amp is an older Genz Benz M-Line 1x12 combo that I found by chance a couple years ago (for crazy cheap!) and it absolutely howls. The eq is sparse, but it has an effects loop and the balanced d.i. works nicely. If I eventually try to go for a small head, I'll investigate things like the GK 400rb, LM II, or one of the other lighter alternatives, plus a cab that carries easily enough. My hope would be to have the option of running its tone to my power amp when I need extra volume. Maybe not super-simple, but I think it would be really useful in different roles.