Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, May 24, 2003.

1. Ok...I was thinking of this stack set-up

Head:

Peavey Session Bass: 200w @ 4ohms, 130@ 8 ohms.

Cab:

Avatar 2x10 (500 watts,I think) 8 ohms

would this push out 130 watts? and nothing would die?

,what if I got the cab at 4 ohms?

thanks!
    -Jon

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    130 W

200 W with the 4 Ohm version, but this wouldn't be very much louder. The boost would be less than 3 dB.

Remember: to double the volume, for example, you need +10 dB, aka 10-times(!) the power.

3. so,what do you suggest I do?

4. I would suggest you get the 8 ohm version, then you can add another cab later if you decide you want more speakers.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the big worry is this..............
    more cabs are blown by 100 watt heads than 1000 watt heads
    when using an underpowered head you are more likley to turn up to the point where the amp "clips" and fries the speakers

6. damnit...

I am trying to get a decent 120+ watt setup for under like 350/425

:meh:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well don't give up.....
    somtimes you can get fantastic deals on used gear

the overall deal is this - you should have 4x the wattage of your guitar player (in a perfect world)
    every time you double your wattage you get a 3db increase in volume which is not much, 10 times the wattage gets you +10db which is twice as loud
    adding another speaker (make sure they are both 8 ohms) give you a theoretical maximum gain of +6db

fwiw, i used a 410 and a 210 with my 150 watt swr electric blue head and it was pretty darn loud - almost as loud as my 400 watt eden

my biggest advice is to go the seperate cabinet/head route so upgrading or adding on will be easier later

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Why don't you buy a cabinet now and then save up again for a head later? Or vice versa.

9. ugh...

i'm only 14 and I don't have a job...I get 5 dollars a week if im lucky.

it's not to easy to get a SVT-Pro and SVT8x10 stack at my position...

10. So...you suggest go for 8ohms?

see...my dream cab stack is 2x10,1x15...but,I think I'd need a more powerful amp(more then 200) if I wanted to be loud...

it's not like I'ma play monster arenas in the near future...I am just preparing for the future so,when I find a band...I have my mind set