Would you be in your Band's Music Video if you didn't play on the song?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 51PRI, Sep 28, 2022.

1. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Our band has been approached to do a music video. Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

Anyway, the BL, and the videographer, a friend of the band, both want the video to be to a particular song that is on one of the band's CD's. This song only has three of the band's members on it, with another non band member as featured soloist. I didn't play on the song at all. We will be lip-syncing to the song as recorded for the CD. The BL says that HE will lip-synch the non member's parts, if necessary.

I can't see lip-synching a part that wasn't even on the record but I don't know how to handle this, or what to do to be a part of a music video for a song on which I did not play. Obviously the BL seems pretty excited to get one of his songs a video. So is the drummer. AFAIK the old bass player hasn't been contacted but I think he should be.

Maybe if there is a bar scene the other guitar player, who also didn't play on the song, and I can be bartenders or be sitting having a drink and/or playing poker?

Thoughts?

2. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    Do the video, who cares? At worst you will have a recent and professionally, hopefully, made video to show other prospective projects.

There are tons of videos where the bass player, or other musicians, in the video were not actually on the recording.

I just don't see any downside in not doing it. Maybe others might think differently.

3. Jig Man

Jig Man Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Yes I would. You're in the band, the old bassist isn't. The band isn't going to just scrap the songs they recorded before you joined. The video is promotional for the band you're in. Dress nice and take advantage of the opportunity.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg

these cats get it! ;)

welcome to show business! :laugh: break a leg! :thumbsup:

Lownote38, One Way, SunByrne and 21 others like this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Ask Rudy Sarzo. He’s made a career of doing it.
    Quiet Riot
    Ozzy
    White snake etc

6. Can hurt anything do the video you have nothing to lose

jamro217 and BatBasstard like this.
  7. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    I love what this BL comes up with.

Just do it... and then report back in a new thread because its bound to have mileage

8. I autographed CDs I wasn't on, seems like no problem.

9. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar...

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Yeah probably. Is the music video going to be just you guys, but playing the song like you're performing it?

10. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Just do it man.

jamro217 likes this.
  11. KenD

KenD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    Shades of Milli Vanilli :)

jamro217 likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah who cares? Just do it. Relax.

13. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I think Phil Colleen was in all of Def Leppard’s Pyromania videos that original guitarist, Pete Willis played on.

SoCal80s and jamro217 like this.
  14. I think MTV wouldn’t exist.....

Fake it good!

SoCal80s, jamro217 and trickyric like this.
  15. Don't overthink this. Do the video.

SunByrne, sotua, SoCal80s and 2 others like this.
  16. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Half of the bands on MTV in the 80s were doing this.

Of those, half or more weren’t aware of that fact. Producers are pretty merciless when there’s real money on the table.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    You're over-thinking this. A video isn't a historical documentary. Do it and have fun!

SunByrne, dieggsy, SoCal80s and 3 others like this.
  18. Peavaria

Peavaria

Oct 10, 2018
    Extreme More Than Words video for consultation.

TyBo and jamro217 like this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Now is not the time to tell the BL you don’t think you’re in the band. Just do it. Aren’t you planning to be the bass player next time the BL’s band plays that song live?

20. At least you are in the band the video is for. Every now and then I see an add for a muso of some sort to just be in someone's music video, not the actual band.
    And as has already been said there are tons of recordings with studio musos on them with other band members in the actual video clip for the song.

SoCal80s likes this.