1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you be open to the idea of being in a band with a member of your family ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Would you be open to the idea of being in a band with a member of your family ? I would be open to it if any of them played.

2. I wish I was, it'd be for a pretty cool bonding experience.

3. not only open to it,,, but am..

4. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Had my 2 younger brothers play guitar & drums when we all lived in Seattle.
    It was really cool at times & others, not so much. Great experience over all.
    Now one lives in Connecticut, but we still do long distance recording projects.

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I sometimes play with my brother who's been playing guitar for 7+ years. Good learning experiences. I just don't know, though. I think our brotherly "tiffs" would get too much in the way of a real band experience.:meh:

6. I play drums in a two piece with my brother. Works out really well. I really think that knowing each other all our lives helps us write better and faster.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    There is not another person in my family that has any musical talent so I would not be interested being in a band with them. If they had talent, I'm still not too sure I would be into it. We are close but my siblings fight like crazy over everything and nothing at the same time and I don;t need that.

8. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I'd have to be open to the idea of being in the same room as a member of my family for any length of time first...I wouldn't mind jamming with my sister but she hasn't got the patience to learn guitar properly, so she's rubbish.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    No. I am the only member of my family that plays music. The rest have a hard time tuning a radio, let alone a g**tar...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My brother has been in four of the bands I've been in since 1977, and is in my current band. He plays rhythm guitar and sings lead vocals.

11. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Played in a band with my brother (geetar) in high school.

12. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I've been in a couple of bands where my sister sang lead vocals and she's always been the most professional musician that I've ever worked with. Also played with my little brother who played guitar and although we didn't always get along, when it came time to play, we always played extremely well together. He was a guitar player that understood that seemingly "lost art" of actual rhythm guitar. Not only did he play very rhythmically when he soloed, but he knew a lot of chord voicings, had excellent groove and always played in a pocket that nobody else was in and we just had that sibling telepathic groove going. It was pretty amazing. He's not with us anymore and I miss him and really miss playing with him for many reasons...
    )-(

13. Same here. I would say I'm moderately talented, but my brother, hoo boy, you should see him try to snap his fingers in time to a song:eek: Not a pretty picture.

14. Sure... I'd love to be on the same stage with either one of my teen sons. One plays sax, and the other.. electric guitar. so yes, definitely would consider it.

15. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

no. they're squares.

16. I am totally down for my younger sister on drums \m/
    But she doesn't practice.

17. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    not in general, but the only person that plays is my brother and i hate him so, no.

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Oh yeah. But my brother is a bad singer and guitarist. So no.

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    sure! though... my brother's an operatic tenor, i'm a rock/groove/noize bassist, and my other brother's a laptop DJ. it would be... interesting, to say the least.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My brother is an awesome drummer. He got the lions share of talent in the family. We used to play together for years, but somehow went our separate ways. He still sits in with my current band from time to time.