Would You Be Tempted By This Rig? (USA Peavey/Carvin/Yorkville)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Jan 17, 2022.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Hey Guys,

Let me preface this by saying that, as a bedroom bassist, I certainly don't need a new (or new-to-me) bass rig. I have pretty bad social anxiety and don't know that I'll ever even jam with people again, let alone play out.

That said, there's part of me that feels/hopes that, at some point, I'll really get my act together in the form of hitting the 'shed/getting my chops back, hooking up with some guys (and/or gals), and playing in public again sometime before I, y'know, shuffle off this mortal coil, ha ha.

A guy local to me is selling his rig, which is as follows:

Bass amp for sale | Amps & Pedals | Prince George | Kijiji

s-l640.jpg

It's a Peavey T-Max head with a Yorkville 210 and Carvin 115 cab. I'm primarily interested in the head, which I have read great things about, not to mention I am a pretty big fan of Peavey USA gear (three of my basses: T-40, Cirrus 6, TL-Five.) He doesn't indicate that he is willing to sell the head seperately, and I'm not opposed to buying the cabs anyways; at $750 Canadian, AKA $599 USD as of this post, it seems like a decent, if not necessarily screaming, deal.

If I do decide to go take a look at it, it's not happening today, tomorrow, or even necessarily this week. Yeah, I have the money in the bank that (and not trying to brag here, just stating a fact) I COULD go and grab it today and not really be hurt, financially speaking. However - I am between jobs (bailed on my idiot employer last Wednesday), and I don't like making large-ish (never mind arguably totally unnecessary) purchases when I don't have money coming in.

Anyways, just mainly looking for some opinions, ESPECIALLY from those of you who own, or who have owned in the past, one of these T-Max heads. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup::bassist:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  2. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I think, for all of the reasons you stated, secure your next employment first, and if this rig is still available, great.

If it's no longer available at that point, there will always be something suitable, at a good price.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I think your typical music shop that has a legitimate bass department would have the head tagged at $250, each cab tagged at $150, and wouldn’t have any serious buyers till someone offered the owner $300 including tax for the whole rig.

it’s not bad gear, but the pool of buyers is small enough relative to other brands that it keeps selling prices reasonable.

when you get yourself situated again, check actual selling prices on any used gear you’re considering before going to test drive it.

4. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Are you talking USD or CAD? :)

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Id pass.

6. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Based on...? What the gear is? The price? Or both?

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    If I deseperately needed an amp and had to choose from these options:

I would offer $100 CAD for the Yorkville cab (assuming that it is in perfect working condition), tip it 90 degrees on its side, and pair it with a lower-wattage head. That would be a nice home/practice rig. (But the Peavey T Max would be overkill for that cab.)

Or if you really want the T Max head for your Peavey collection, start by offering $250 CAD, but not with those cabinets.

The Carvin cab is a nope for me, because Carvin went out of business.

If the seller isn't willing to split up the stack then I walk away.

8. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    What do you want to accomplish by buying this rig?
    • If you want to woodshed, you don't need to buy this rig to do that. Go to the shed.
    • If you want to get your chops back, you don't need to buy this rig to do that. Go practice.
    • If you want to play in public with other people, you don't need to buy this rig to do that. After shedding and practicing, go play.
    Purchasing gear isn't going to get you closer to your actual goals. Given your financial situation, the fact that you don't need this rig, and the fact that by your admission playing with others is a hurdle that you have to overcome, I would say that you should evaluate your goals and realize that retail therapy isn't going to help the core issue here.

When you've practiced, regained your chops, and realized your goals of playing out, then you can think about gear. Gear isn't scarce - it will always be around. If and when you really want to play out, there are better, more portable options for a similar price that will get the job done.

At the end of the day, be honest about your goals. If your goal is to play bass, then you don't need the rig to accomplish that goal. If your goal is just to buy the rig, that's fine, but you should be honest about that.

9. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I agree with everything you said. Frankly, it's mostly just GAS, if I'm being honest...:roflmao: - Who doesn't like a new (or new-used) toy now and then?

Me ever playing out again is admittedly a long shot. But in the event it does come to fruition, I dunno, call me old school, but I think I'd kind of like to have a rig. I get that a lot of players go thru the PA or whatever nowadays, but...

10. Honestly, I would pass. Even if you did start gigging, this is a heavy rig. Once you are secure in the next job, check out the new Peavey Max 15" combo. It is sick and will give you the tone you want in a lighter weight package. Those new Max combos are very good.

gebass6 and rodl2005 like this.
  11. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    1. Its just GAS, u don't have a need
    2 you're unemployed
    3. The gear isnt special
    4. No gigs planned

Al Rivera, gebass6, pcake and 5 others like this.
  12. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Fair enough - as long as you're honest about it, it's fine.

My advice - see if you can set up a time to talk to the guy and try out the rig. You might not decide to buy it (I wouldn't recommend it given your situation) but at least you can try it out and see if it lives up to your expectations. Ease those GAS pains, if you will. My guess is that the seller will be selling for a while as working bassists will probably default to smaller, lighter rigs with similar or better power output. (Think single cabinet with a Class D head.)

The other good thing about this is that you might get a chance to make a connection with another bassist in your area and talk shop. And honestly, if you're honest about your situation up front - you're interested, but financials aren't in place right now - maybe there would be room to negotiate (even parting out the rig), or maybe the seller would be willing to approach you later if it doesn't sell. All of this will be easier if you actually end up making a connection, bassist-to-bassist.

If for some reason you do buy it, just make sure that you have a way to use it if you aren't gigging. There'd be little reason to buy if you never play it at volume or use it for anything else (like recording, maybe).

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    A bit overpriced. Might be worth half what they're asking.

Ostie, pcake and Bass Jones like this.
  14. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a T-Max head I picked up for $60. Yes, it's a great head, reliable, sounds good, and flexible in tone.

I'm not your dad -- so I'm not going to lecture you about your employment status. However, if you are interested in the head, it is worth talking to the seller and seeing what the head alone will cost.

US Peavey gear is getting hard to find. Folks say it's nothing special until they can't find them anymore -- then they'll price it high and market how special they are.

EDIT: I own a Peavey Megabass, T-Max, 120/120, Alpha preamp, Probass 1000, T.B. Raxx, and a T-max preamp. Yes -- these are awesome bass rigs.

Thundar, AudioTaper and Bass Jones like this.
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    $750 CAD, USD or Venezuelan is way too high for that rig.

16. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Hard pass. Get on your feet and then do some shopping. There are great deals to be had on big rigs. Be patient and something will come your way!

lomo likes this.
  17. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    I’d pass on that rig because it’s old/used, heavy and mismatched. IME, it’s never a good idea to mismatch speaker cabs that weren’t designed to be run together. It will work, but can lead to damage of either the amplifier or the speakers.

if you’re set on the rig, take the Peavey amp and one of the cabs. Whatever is rated highest or sounds better.

juggahnaught, LBS-bass and Methaneman like this.
  18. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    Another hard pass. Peavey amps of that era sound ok at best, carvin 115 are lifeless sounding as well. I've owned plenty of carvin and peavey gear over the years. In that price range you will find a much better sounding combo amp that will be louder than you ever need. Old carvin basses are awesome...sound gear blah..

19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Too many other great amps out there for that price or less. I say pass.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022