Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you believe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xyllion, Sep 29, 2004.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Tried a little experiment at my last gig and ran my Ampeg Portabass 250 head into my 2 BagEnd S-15D cabs. I must say that I was extremely impressed with the result. I was not cranked all the way up. I know this because the limiter never kicked in. Great thing was that this rig was very easy to transport.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to sell of my SoundTech PS802 amp yet though. That power amp has served me well for 2 years. I'm not thrilled with the thought of sending it away.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bob, perhaps you should hang on to the power amp for a little while longer. But...

I think a bass head and a pair of 15s will always have a place in a bassist's backline.

I met Hevi-Duty at a guitar show on Sunday. I saw my first Schroeder cabinets at the show at the Luthier's Access Group booth. I asked Ken if he'd read the thread about Schroeders on TalkBass. He said that he's using a pair of Bag End 1x15s and is very happy with them...so you're not alone!

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    It is funny, because I have run around in a circle. An S-15D was my first ever seperate cab. I ended up selling it in a fit of GAS. Since then I have been trying this cab and that and was never really completely happy with the result. This summer I had the opportunity to grab a pair of S-15D cabs and I must say that it is good to come home again.

The Ampeg Portabass head was something to make it easier for me to travel to practices. I've been playing with two bands. So, I have been leaving a cab at each practice space and hauling my amp back and forth. The Portabass is an excellent choice for this use. Amazingly enough it did well at the gig, too.

Yea, I don't think I'll sell the SoundTech. I hardly ever see them available on the used market and I don't like paying new prices for amps. I'll just keep it around as a backup for the moment.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Oh yea, I also have come home to Ampeg as well. BillyB was kind enough to help me purchase an Ampeg B-1R a few years back that I used with my original S-15D. Now I'm back to Ampeg again.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gotta love the bag end cabinets

i'm using a 15 and a 12 (and sometimes a 210) and i'm gassing for the coax version of the 15, (well maybe a coax 210 too, and what the hell, maybe another 12..... :p )

i usually push the 15 and 12 with a stewart 2.1 but i use a lil' swr electric blue 150 watt head or an eden wt-400 with 'em too and for a portable rig it rocks...........even compared to a lot of much bigger rigs the BE's rock

my review of the bag end 15...........reviews of the 12 and the 210 also on the forum

6. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Hey! I'm glad to hear the Portabass head is working for you!

--Jonathan

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Cool, didn't realize that I bought from a fellow TalkBasser. Yea, the head was a great purchase for me. I didn't originally intend to use it for gigs, but it worked.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Like I said, I'm afraid of looking at other cabs since I like my Bags so much. I really don't need a case of cab-GAS!

(Good seeing you, by the way!)

9. The cool thing is if you really start diggin the Portabass, you could grab a PB800 and be set for volume, also!