Would You Believe...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FriscoBassAce, Aug 27, 2005.

1. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    That less than one week after our first (and highly successful) gig, my band fell apart this evening. It's over. This is what happened:

Our drummer was not cutting it. Everyone in the band agreed. He even agreed about his lack of dedication, practice, money, time, etc. He didn't even own his own kit. Everyone decided unanimously that if the drummer couldn't pay his room rent this month, he was out. There was a looooonnnng history of him being a moocher and a flake.

After our first gig last Saturday, the word got around to the local club owners that we rocked out and had a huge draw. Our gig was Saturday, and by Wednesday, we had 3 paying gigs booked in October, one in November, and another club that wanted to book us for a few Fri-Sat. gigs. Amazing, right?

So the rhythm guitarist, who is the founder of the band and also owns most of the PA, volunteered to be the one to do the deed and fire the drummer this afternoon. He and the drummer had been friends since childhood, and they had been together the longest of any of us. The drummer had quit the band before (before I was part of it) and came back. He never practiced, was habitually late to practice, and never paid his own way. It was time for him to go.

So I talk to the rhythm guitarist and he tells me he has done it. But did he do it the way he said he would in person? Hell no. He calls the guys cell phone and leaves a message. "Dude-you're fired for various reasons. Call me if you want to know why." Then the guitarist proceeds to start drinking. This guy is a recovering alcoholic that falls off the wagon occasionally and does really stupid stuff. He did it tonight. He calls the lead guitarist, who happens to be a good friend of mine, and goes off on him. He puts down his son-in-law (who is a revered local musician who has been helping us get started), puts down our lead-singer's sexual preferences (happens to be gay...not a problem for me....the dude can sing and you wouldn't know he's gay because he's just like a regular guy), and then starts putting ME down because I put my cell phone number on a frickin' gig flyer I made. Reason why? Because I don't have a "regular" job and I'm available to take phone calls at any time. No biggie. It's just a flyer and not our website (which I created and maintain btw). The guitarist tells the drunk guitarist "Hey man....don't be talking about my son-in-law like that; he's helped us out more than you know, plus he's my family!" The drunk geet just keeps on going about all the crap he doesn't like. They hang up.

Jeff (the good geet) calls me up, tells me what happens, and we go collect our equipment from the rehearsal room. Over. Done. No more. All that hard work that we put into the band derailed because of someone who doesn't know how to stop drinking. If the guy has one or two, he's fine. More than that he goes off the deep end. We warned him before....and he did it again Strike three.

So now the lead guitarist, the singer, and I now have to start over. Since we don't have a PA, we're in a bind. I don't know if we'll be able to keep a new project going or not.

Sorry for the rant....I just can't believe this guy is so immature and irresponsible as to sacrifice everything for the rest of us.

I did get a lot out of the experience though. 1). Don't play with alcoholics; 2). Don't rely on someone who holds all the cards with a PA; 3). I learned a lot of new songs and made tons of contacts, and 4). I got back up on the stage after a 19 year hiatus. Hopefully my future experiences won't be as screwed up as this one was.

I'm bummed because I was looking forward to us continuing our progress and being able to play for pay starting in October.

:spit: :mad: :rollno:
  2. Wow, I thought I was in a rough situation. Now that's drama. You're better off for it in the long run. Sounds like it would have happened eventually with all the outside factors at work.
  3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I swear to God, if alcohol was invented today, it would be a Class II narcotic with heavily restricted access.

Hang in there, bud. I'm in a somewhat similar situation - back in the business for the first time in 13 years. Not so confident about the abilities or dedication of my bandmates. Thank God none of them has a drinking problem, though.
  4. Wow, that's a bad story, just hope that you'll be able to find a solution quickly!

5. These people always just keep you from really doing great things.

My rhythm guitarist quit, and did it quite out of the blue (looking back now we should have seen it coming, but we didn't). Luckily, we don't have to replace him. We've decided to do on as a three-piece band. We sound different, but not bad.

In the end, the guitarist was also... lacking. Or not good for our band. He wanted to solo more (we gave him plenty of solo's. we do 3 blues songs with about 3 solo's/song for him and leave room in the other songs for him to solo), he wanted to do more songs we wrote ourselves (but never came up with anything himself), wanted to gig more (can't organise it. he did once and we ended up replacing another band and *not* getting paid, whereas the other band would have been paid), he lacked rhythm and didn't do anything about it, he was always late for practise...

Just think of it as an opportunity. If you really are good, there will be plenty of good people out there who want to play with you.

(btw, are you keeping the bands name? it'll be easier getting gigs if you do because the name is 'out there')
  6. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Well, we can't really keep the name because it was a play on the rhythm guitarist's last name. I know that I'll definitely land on my feet somewhere....but the question is where and when. My rig looks sad in my house not lined up with other amps and a drum kit. I've got drummers emailing me out the wazoo because of the ad I placed just last week for a new drummer. Little did I know I need to place one for a new guitarist as well!

I'm still a little bummed....but I've started looking at the musician's classifieds in my area.
  7. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    So the remaining three members (including me) met tonight for dinner. We decided we are going to continue on and form a new band, using a new name. We are going to change our set lists, audition drummers and guitarists, and keep our rehearsal space and one of the gigs we had scheduled (for November). That ought to give us plenty of time to get new players and have several practices before it's time to go. Maybe if we're ready to go before November we can re-book some of those lost gigs.

I'm still mad as hell at the old guitarist....but you know what? This is all going to be for the better because after our drummer that we just fired, he was the lousiest player on the team.

Now I'm excited again! W00t! :hyper:
  8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Hey! A local dude. There are plenty of good musicians floating around this town for ya'll to pick and choose who you want the new members to be. Get ones that will improve your overall sound and you're on you're way.

Don't fret the PA. That's the easy part. Get a small used one to get going. Don't forget to put equipment purchases on your tax form, schedule C. It's a really good way to get equipment when you're starting out and the band isn't making much profit yet (profit or loss from a business).

Good luck. Go Rough Riders!