1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you blow it up and start over again or stick with it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SmokinJoe992, May 21, 2019.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Salvage it.
    It’s your band, and your hard work... or maybe you and the drummer, anyway.
    Why give that up? Don’t give up the name and brand that you’ve built so far. Keep working on it... even if that means a personnel change.

SmokinJoe992 and Nevada Pete like this.
  2. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Geez this sounds like me...we went on hiatus 5 years ago but have gotten together on a few occasions per year.
    But after the guitar player pissed me off one last time, I called it...THE END. Well it's been a year since the final curtain and I haven't found anything like it yet. I have answered a few musicians wanted things but couldn't get past the attitude on the phone. I did join a band that was ok but got worse instead of better as time went on, not musicianship necessarily but everything else. Last Sunday I got together with a drummer and guitar player that have been together for a while. It felt good, BUT... as a former BL I thought the guitar was too loud (Marshal stack) as were the drums but we were in a small room and I have been away from that for a while. It felt like they were more showing off that entertaining and I am so over that. I agreed to give it a few more weeks to see if things calm down.

My point is that I now wish I could have salvaged things with the "THE END" band.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  3. He did.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Seems like maybe you need to start a new project and set these expectations out up front, or join a project where these expectations are on the table and being met. I totally understand what you want; I have multiple projects because each one gives me something different. I'd prefer all those needs be met with one project, but until that happens, it is what it is.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  5. This is kind of what I was thinking. In any working situation, there's nothing like someone getting canned to make (me) everybody sit up a little straighter, etc. You are in the position where you have all the power in your band because: 1) You own the PA, and 2) You do the booking. In my book, that means you call the shots. I think if you want to go forward it's time to accept the roll of band leader, and exercise leadership. Work it out first with your drummer.

I would consider the following, or something like it: Line up candidates to replace the dead wood. Rehearse the replacements on the side until they can seamlessly step into their new rolls. Nothing says you have to put up a bill board saying that you are doing this. When you can make the changes necessary, do so quickly. I would get rid of both of the problem players at once if possible to avoid disruption. Then, "go forward with vigor", as one of my high school teachers used to say. I've seen this happen, been part of it happening (as one of the new members). In my case, it worked once. The other time everybody eventually went their own ways and found other bands. In both cases it was a big improvement. Good luck.

SmokinJoe992, lfmn16 and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. Stumbo answer condenses my ramble succinctly :)

SmokinJoe992, lfmn16 and Stumbo like this.
  7. Might be time to start thinking about officially owning your bands name as a trademark. You do that via the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). You can have a consultation with an intellectual property attorney. Watch out not to pay too much for the consultation! See if you can land one for half and hour for free.

Might be premature at this point. Probably is. But it's something to think about. Then you own the name of your band.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  8. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Sounds to me like this project has reached the end of its natural life cycle. I would let it die, without regrets or recrimination, and move on to something else.

9. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    You can’t drag people to want to achieve something... Dragging them along is futile. Find the right people and jettison the rest. You can’t polish a turd.

Nevada Pete, SmokinJoe992 and lfmn16 like this.
  10. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    maybe is a USA thing, but in the old continent, cover bands will be as big as you're with your band right now.
    You wanna move forward? start creating your own music.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  11. Open honest communication, need not be harsh and abrasive. It could be that others may have some good ideas on growing the band, or they wish they had a nice way out. By all means keep the drummer if you can.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  12. If it was me, and had an unwillingness of the members to learn new material and did'nt bring people to the shows, would be an easy decision. Also, if you are pretty sure the band is going about as far as it can and you are looking for more, it's time to cut your losses.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  13. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I have been in your situation and know how you feel. Sounds like things are beginning to stagnate. The only thing you can do is find a way to make the band more entertaining and that falls on whoever is fronting the band. That will bring you the bigger gigs. I don't care how well you do cover tunes, people want to be visually entertained these days and if all you guys are doing is standing there and playing then you have peaked as a band and things are starting to go south.

Nevada Pete and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think if you walked away you'd regret it. It seems to me like you're looking at what you don't have over what you have. Not saying there aren't some frustrations with your existing band. But they can be worked through. I've walked away from projects/bands before thinking I could find something better, and it never happened that way. I'd walk away or fire someone only to turn around and have no one to jam with a month later.

OTOH, if you are that driven, have time and geographical loc on your side and you really believe that you can find more committed members that are about the same things as you, then I say blow it up and move on. It almost sounds to me like you're not passionate about the band you're in now. At that point, it's work. A band ain't easy. But it should always remain fun no matter what. If you aren't having fun, maybe move on.

SmokinJoe992 and thebreakman like this.
  15. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Speak your mind to the rest of the guys in a calm and controlled meeting and see where their direction is. If it isnt to what you would like then keep who wants to go the same way as you and replace the others. Not a great thing to do BUT if this is your direction then don't let anyone stop you. BE POLITE and kind and best as you can. (some day you may need one of the others guys for something or they may need you)

bdplaid and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  16. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I'd call a face to face beer meeting and tell them exactly what you wrote here, with the exception of you feeling you can go it alone. See what they say. It sounds like you can kick it up a notch with the current lineup if two people would step up. If they won't, ask them if they would mind being replaced. Nicely. Never burn a bridge.

And I'll tell you something else - nothing will burn a bridge faster than doing something behind someone's back, hence the recommendation for a face to face.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  17. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    You said it yourself - you were learning about breaking into the local music scene when you started this project. You now have different expectations. You are also the band leader, and have some authority... So... have a one on one chat with each member. Tell them what you have in mind in terms of new expectations. Your discussion with them will tell you everything you need to know. Most likely, you will have to replace at least either the keyboard player or guitar player, maybe both.

At the end of the day, this is nobody's fault. Your definition of what the band can/should accomplish is now different. The other members will have to adapt, or be replaced. Tell them firmly but politely where the new bar is. Don't settle.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  18. I agree completely about doing things behind somebody's back, if you want to look at it that way. Yes, it's often going to burn bridges. But sometimes, in the interest of continuity, i.e., making a seamless transition in personnel, it seems necessary. The ethics of it (probably morality is a more correct word) is that you confirm that the members who need replacing have demonstrated (hopefully in face to face conversations but at least by their actions) that they are unwilling or not able to progress musically. At that point, the rest of the members who are willing, or are able to progress musically owe those who aren't, or can't, nothing. The analogy of a professional sports team works for me. If someone can't / won't keep up, they get cut.

Yes, it can be brutal. It's happened to me, that's how I know. Several times. I imagine its happened to many of us here on TB who have been playing for a while. Not unusual. You get over it.

If it's not necessary to resort to these actions, then great. If it is, failure to do so has predictable results in my experience, FWIW.