1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

would you bootleg a concert?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guest043, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i just thought of this because of the threads about pocket/portable digital recorders..

would you use such a device to record any given concert? would you say its not right to do so?

i personally intend to record just about any show i go to, but do NOT intend to sell/profit from it..

if someone was recording my concerts (that i was not recording myself) i dont think id have any problem with it being passed around for free. would you?

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Would I????

I've been doing it for 20 years.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Most of the shows I go to have a seperate section for Tapers. They allow fans to record and distribute their shows. As long as it's not for profit, it's a great marketing tool for them. Bands like the Grateful Dead and the Allman Bros laid the groundwork for bands like Phish, String Cheese Incident, and Yonder Mountain String Band. So, not only would I do it, but I'd gladly trade it with others for some of their stash.

Check out the "stash" section of http://www.nugs.net.

4. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    glad to see its something that is smiled upon..

this site got me into the idea-

www.jazzfusion.tv

tons of weather report/jaco, among other great stuff.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I love bootlegs, but like them the best when they are from the board.

That being said, when I go to a concert, I just wanna chill and watch the band. Don't really want to be worrying after a recorder.

6. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    NO Way!!!!
    It's rude.

7. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    yo..im trying to download off of the free stash at nugs and cant seem to get it to work.

any advice here?

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I record most every concert I attend to MiniDisc and have done so for years. It's not enough to not sell it, though, I do not distribute my copies either to anyone but those whom I attended the concert with. If you share it on the internet that's not cool IMO.

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Not all shows are available all the time. Just click through and you'll see what's available. He does it to conserve server space.

10. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    it said status-available..strange.

anyway, the post about only sharing the recording with those whom you attent the show with, makes sence. i doubt id ever post stuff on the internet (besides my own concerts, of course.) but i dont really think its a bad thing. its advertisement for them.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yes.

12. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Ok now that this thread is running Ill hijack it a little bit. How do you guys do to prevent the mic get overloaded?

13. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Phish had a pretty clearly defined policy on taping their shows. They realized that Tapers were a great marketting mechanism for them. They only drew the line at making money. They advocated sharing and distributing, but only if it was free. Brad, my buddy who runs www.nugs.net started the site distributing shows. Being a long time reliable taper granted him access to the Mecca of deadheads, the vault run by the archivist Dick (as in "Dick's Picks" fame). This also led to a paid touring spot with Phish and all the members offchute bands where his role was to record a digital feed from the board. This became www.livephish.com, which modelled livenugs.com featuring all the bands you see on nugs. So yeah, I'd say bands recognize the marketting potential of taping shows.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    No. Usually they sound like crap even if it's a good show. Lots of bands now will sell a copy of the show you just saw on CD after the concert. That is the best thing to happen to live music in a long time IMO.

15. I don't trust bootleggers since the majority of the time you see them once and don't hear from them ever again. So instead of taking the chance of wasting my money on a distorted mess from bad angles, I just buy the dvd.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Get a half decent mic and a recording device which allows you to adjust the levels.

17. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have over 600 springsteen bootlegs and a couple of hundred WHO bootlegs.

although, i have been offered big money for my georgia satellites shows/studio stuff, i have to say nope to those offers.

18. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    My old roommate used to have 2 mics in a baseball cap he used to tape shows. He traded a bunch of them too (no money exchanging hands).

Some highlights...

Stevie Wonder 1974
    Tons of live Zappa
    Louie Armstrong 1954

And they were all great quality!!!!

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not unless the artist was okay with it.

20. MakiSupaStar