1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you buy a bass from THIS MAN?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jan 20, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
  2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Nice title. :)

3. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    :D

4. Maybe a bacon sandwich...

5. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I'm a vegetarian, so if he's selling carrots, I'll (maybe) buy one.

6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It's always interesting what people "see". I know this guy and if what he's doing looks like ego and antics...
    :meh:

It's a rock trio. I thought it was some fairly normal showmanship. And it was a bass solo so... should he just stand erect and play the regular bassline?
    :D

BTW I've always dug McVie but I'm cool with a bassist who's not playing quarter notes like the last clip.

8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Sorry bud, no insult intended. Just not my cup of tea. I've never been fond of the "stage strut" stuff that some performers feel is necessary (i.e. Mick Jagger, etc.) and even less fond of it when the bass player partakes. Again, just not my cup of tea. That said, you do have to play to your audience and keep things alive, so if his audience expects this kind of stuff then cool, I just probably wouldn't be in that audience.
    BTW - he does appear to be a very good player (much better than I'll ever be).

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I didn't take it as an insult, that's just how you saw that performance and that's cool. I just happen to know the guy and can guarantee his ego as a bassist isn't really a problem.

:cool:

10. I'd buy a bass from him....but wouldn't take any advice on what to wear on stage....

11. +1 that is great!

12. I think he was just enjoying the night and being an entertainer. Thats what he gets paid to do.
    As far as buying a bass, does he make basses?

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Meh, if the band doesn't move like for instance ATDI did, then you're a boring lifeless band.

14. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    I hate it when I go to a show and the bass player (usually fat, just thought I'd throw that in there) is standing still the whole time, not doing anything. It feels like your energy gets sucked out from you by watching them.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yeah, it's Kevin Brubaker of Brubaker Guitars. Playing with Rob Fahey.

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Tough crowd.

If moving around works for you and you look okay doing it, wonderful. Some bassists can stand stock still and still be magnetic and compelling.

From Fams to Verdine White, and everything in between, do what you gotta do!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd rather see someone having fun onstage personally.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    He seems to be having fun. I don't see cheezy showmanship or ego. People who want to hold themselves back from expressing themselves should not get on the stage.:) Restrain your natural movements and you may be also restricting what's coming out of your fingers. Crowds want to see us move. Otherwise they'd stay home and listen to the CD.:)

Neither have anything to do with what his day job is.:)
    Shows he knows how to use his product.:)
    What if he were an ambulance driver?:)!!!

19. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    I have no idea what this thread is about. But I am a big Ravyns fan from back in the day. Saw them many times. And this is the antithesis of what the Ravyns were about.

20. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    I am illustrating that the guy who makes Brubaker basses, can also PLAY bass rather well.... to each his own....