Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you buy a bass in a shop where it's written "forbidden to foreigners"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pierre-Yves, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Pierre-Yves

Pierre-Yves

Sep 1, 2004
    Actually, if you buy a Carvin bass, it's just what you're doing. Starting from now, www.carvin.com is forbidden to foreigners. I do not mean that shopping from this site is forbidden, but actually viewing the site is forbidden. All foreigners (thanks to IP localisation) are redirected.

I guess most of you are US residents and won't care about this. but if you think a little about it... it really sucks.

To all european carvin potential customers that would come to this forum: you must know that the bass you would pay $2400+ in Europe only cost about $1000 in the US.

That's why I just bought a TRB-6 PII (cheaper than a Carvin here!)

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    To answer your question, NO! which kinda sucks cause I like Carvin's stuff.

but I'd like to have a closer look into the situation. You say out of country requests are "redirected", to where? Is there a different Carvin site for non-US customers, or are you sent somewhere like Disney.com or similar nonsense site? Did you find out from anywhere that this was done by Carvin? Your profile doesn't list where you are but you mention Europe. I know China as a country doesn't have access to the rest of the world's internet (as per government policy), so it could be something that's been done by your government (but I doubt that) or your ISP (again unlikely). Have you tried getting to Carvin.com from other computers in other locations?

Also, There is a member on here who works for Carvin. Maybe he'll pop in and shed some light on things if he knows anything... I hope this is just a misunderstanding, cause it certainly doesn't seem like good business sense.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sorry to hear that man.

Consider this, there are many great, European luthiers who have websites that are undeciferable to the average, English speaking American. I think that is a downer about as bad as the one you experienced.

Not to mention exchange rates, which people from both sides of the pond experience when importing.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Did you ever think about emailing Carvin to make sure they were even aware of the problem?

I would assume, "no."

If not, can you tell me one reason Carvin would have to limit sales to only the US? I thought not.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: After spending 5 seconds on Carvin's website, I found this:

http://www.carvinworld.com/

So, there ya go. You can order all of the Carvin gear you want. :hyper:

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That's the site non-US computers are redirected to, which I think was the source of the OP's complaint. You have to buy through a local distributor.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    which is probably to help cut the costs of shipping and dealing with foreign orders, as well as help with foreign adverterising.

so let me get this straight, you're aggravated because carvin is trying to cut their costs while still providing service to foreign customers, and with the help of foreign distributors, actually increase their local visibility.

big ole' :rolleyes: for that one.

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If the figures quoted by the OP are correct, we're talking about a 140% mark-up.

Compare that with other companies. 3 band Stingrays start at $1665 retail in the US, and £1245 retail in the UK. At current exchange rates that's $2241.37, a 34% increase on US retail.

A run of the mill US precision is $1,227.99 US retail and £849.99 UK retail. That's $1,530.23, a 25% increase.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a uk carvin site - www.carvin.co.uk - and the prices seem fine to me.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's not true. I used to live there and I accessed the internet from many public places. There are just a few sites that are barred such as cnn.com and The Washington Post's website. It's pretty random.

brad cook

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I had a rant about this on the Carvin BBS (in hindsight, it was a carelessly worded one which I regret). I appreciate the purpose of this affair (i.e. protecting their distributors), it's just reasonable, but their approach to solving this problem is severly flawed in more than one way:

* E.g. Sweden has no distributor. For me, the CarvinWorld.com site is utterly useless.
    * CarvinWorld.com hasn't been updated in over a year's time. The latest models aren't listed.
    * There is this thing called "In-Stock Guitars & Basses", where you can see what they have at present. Buying one of these items saves you 8 weeks build time. People outside the US/CAN can't view this page.

Sum of it all is a very bad impression on us foreigners. Action on their part has been rash - not synchronizing the main site with the world site and banning IP's from countries without distribution is just mindless.

For my part, it would work out anyway. In my correspondence with them, knowing that I don't have access to a local (national!) dealer, they offered me the US site pricing plus a modest shipping fee. Now, that is really service-minded and an excellent offer. But at the end of the day, you still only have one shot at giving a good first impression. :meh:

11. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I think the fact that you explained your situation to them and they were very accomodating would be something in their favor and not the opposite. It certainly would if I were the customer.

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Much ado about nothing.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    But who gets to know of my experience? Those who read this thread, and those who read the other thread at the Carvin BBS. And since the foreigners who try to access the BBS from the carvin.com domain (= don't know of the carvin.com/bbs shortcut) will fail, this is all that's left. I'd like to think that their website has quite a few more foreign visitors/potential customers than this thread... or...?

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i live in canada and i can still see it.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's because American coporations consider us American consumers.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Redline R1000 head
    Carvin UK price: 520 = @ $937 US
    Carvin USA price: $600
    Thats only about 56% markup. When you consider the import duties and taxes, shipping across the pond, and advertising in a foreign country, I don't think Carvin is doing a disservice at all.

Oysterman, Carvin flat out took care of you and you still want to complain? Carvin just went up a few points with me because of your post. Why, because service is #1. Others from across the pond will find out through post here and elsewhere about their customer service. Carvin will reach them through advertising and/or word of mouth like they always have also.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No. However if it said "Forbidden to Luexmbourgers" I'd definitely shop there. I can't STAND those people.

brad cook

18. .

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That change is right up there with Gibson's new online pricing policy.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Fixed it for you.