Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would YOU buy a Delay for circa 900 $ and higher..??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jun 15, 2005.

1. hi,
    just saw that "Fulltone Tube Tape Echo", and asked myself, who's buying such a expensive delay unit.

Do you think it is worth its price? Have someone here already tried out one of these?

Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Fulltone sell these as fast as they can make 'em, I can tell you that.

I've never used it, but from everything I've heard it really is the bees knees.

3. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Haha...no. Why would I spend the equivilant of £400 on something that's going to make the drummer want to hit me?

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    they were making delays in the first millenium?

gorsh

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    $900 for an effect, likely not, but if that's the sounded I needed/craved, then yes I would. It's just another tool, just like a $900 bass would be.

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    man thats crazy. i saw someone asking $1100 for a lovetone... what exactly is so great about tape echo ?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  8. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I would, and in fact have (but not the Fulltone).

xan wrote: " what exactly is so great about tape echo ?"

There's no way I can say this without it sounding flippant: it's the sound.

A Roland Space Echo is probably a better choice for bassists that want to get into it, they're more flexible and cheaper.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    sorry i didnt mean to sound dismissive. but it would want to be damned good for that kinda money!

10. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    :rolleyes: :rollno: :rolleyes:

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Last time I checked these things where fetching as much used as they are new... Mike made a real good unit... And for the people who don't know (seems, most of you) - its a clone of the Maestro Echoplex EP-1, which sell for MUCH more than a TTE. And was pretty much the first real tape echo... If you go to "The Gear Page", "Musictoyz Forums", or "Harmony Central Effects Forums" and do a search for Tube Tape Echo - you will see who is buying them... And truth be told, its not that expensive for what you are getting - at all...

Yes, yes... And YES!..

I have a few friends with them, and they love them to death. Infact they never turn them off...

Alex

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tape echoes are very different from your typical delay.
    This said, they are easy to emulate, most models are perfect and save the hassle of dealing with tape and all..

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah... any thoughts on the akai headrush? its supposed to be decent.

14. ok thanks for answering.. I wish I have the chance one day, to try one of these! (and if I love it, I wish I will have the money for it one day, haha ;) )

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did you do a search? about 90 threads.
    Not trying to be unhelpful, but there's just so much useful info in the archives

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Tru Dat Cornbread!

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    anyone ever try one of these?
    [​IMG]
    Has a tube, and a tape simulation mode. Looks pretty radical...I wonder how it sounds? Its pricey, but a fraction of the price of the real thing.
    Guyatone TD-X Tube Echo

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Sorry I must admit I didnt search. I guess I was really asking, "how does a headrush stand up to something like a fulltone tape echo?". N/m its not that important :)

19. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I've spent thousands of dollars on compressors and microphones/mic preamps for my reocrding studio... because they had "that sound". I suppose if i was playing guitar every day and needed "that sound", i'd get one. Depends on the level of importance it contains. I'm trying to convince my guitarist to find an old tape echo and leave it on all the time, lightly (he does this with an analog delay pedal now). Sounds great.

20. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nice.. Yeah, thats what my friends do with their TTE's (nice bit of ambience/space), but it even makes you sound better when its off - it has a full tube bypass!!!

Alex