Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you buy a Geddy Lee if there were more finish options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Sure! I don't care for the look of it, but I think it's a neat bass.

49 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. I like it black, and it should only be offered in black.

35 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. Who cares?

64 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Everyone seems to think this bass is the bee's knees, but I'm curious as to whether or not more people would buy this bass if it were offered in more than just black, black black. Somebody said this was one of Fender's best sellers... maybe they would sell even more if you could pick a different color.

When I was shopping for a bass a while back, this one was an option, however, I could not get past that it was only offered in one of the few finishes that I absolutely do not like. (Black w/maple board) If it were offered in anything else, I might have considered it more strongly.

Shallow? I don't really care. If I'm going to shell out money for a bass, it's got to play, look, and feel just like I want it.

What do you think? Would you have payed for an Olympic White Geddy Lee? Maybe a Sunburst? Sherwood Green?!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd buy one if they weren't available in only black, but I want a black one.

Esp. once you throw on a black pickguard, it's one of the sexiest combinations out there IMO.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I will admit, that does make it a lot more palatable. It's amazing how just swapping out a white pickguard can change the character of a bass.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, I love my black one. I think it looks great. But if it came in some other colours...I might have to buy another one. Vintage white, anyone?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wish they came with P necks more than anything :)

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I' buy a natural finish one! That would be a sexy bass.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If you're going to keep the "signature" aspect of it, I'd say limit it to his three main stage basses - the black, the "Driven" D-tuned sunburst, and the full dropped-D "2112" transparent red. The last one I'd buy in a heartbeat.

8. But the thing is modeled after HIS black one......I suppose they could issue a red one, after all he plays one of those too. Either way, I prefer it the way it is, but it makes for interesting discussion. (So I guess my answer is no...I like mine as is.)

9. Ohh man, a red one with a black pickguard would look amazing.

10. The important thing is how the bass sounds. i have a geddy lee but i wanna change some things, i'm thinking about to change the pickguard to tortoise and put some pickupcovers (brigde/neck). It will look more "vintage" i guess.... i will show when i get it..

But imo the bass is nice black.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would buy one if it was a lefty...

:)

12. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I wouldn't buy one, i'd buy a fender aerodyne instead :smug:

13. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    it is the geddy lee signature series or something along those lines. IMHO, a signature guitar should only look like the person whos signature it is. geddy played a black and white, so if i wanted a geddy bass id go black and white.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the fact it's only available in one color contributes to its success.

People who want one, get the one that's in the store, since all of them look the same anyway.

Plus, having a lot of different colors would make the price go up.

15. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I really like the black, although if I bought one I'd switch the pickguard for either a tortoise or B/W/B.

I voted for the more color options, although deciding which color would just make things worse for me....I'm already indecisive enough! :D

16. The neck is where it's at. Who cares about the color?

17. yeah, or at least a regular J. I like the sound but that neck is just too skinny.

A natural finish would help, though.

18. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Geddy - Black + Seafoam Green + Gold Anodized pickgaurd = :bassist:

19. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    closa to the haaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhT! uh, no.

20. A little vomit crept up my throat when I read that.

I would buy a Geddy Lee, if it had a Precision neck (as was mentioned above) that was NOT finished in the really gaudy stuff they currently use on the current neck.

Of course I'd want the black block binding and inlays on a maple neck, but I'd want an olympic white body and a tort. red guard.

To go a little more insane, I'd prefer it to have a Duncan precision antiquity in the neck, and a Duncan Antiquity 2 jazz bridge pickup with of course, a Badass II, but that's just me [​IMG]