1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you buy a refurbished/B-stock Ampeg SVT4pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeeCup, Apr 1, 2009.

1. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    I want one, but can't afford $1300 for a head. I see them much cheaper as refurbished... would you buy one that way, or do you insist on new?

2. Nope - only had bad luck with refurb.

3. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    refurbished does not bother me too much. the reason i would not be interested is
    because i have heard of reliability problems with this head. do a search.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would rather buy one used than refurbed or new. And I'd stick to one made by SLM.

5. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    what's "made by SLM"?

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    St. Louis Music. The SLM SVT-IV's were made in the USA.

Buy a USA built used instead of buying a problematic overseas blem.

7. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I have used an SLM version SVT IV for a couple of years now and love it. It's very vesitile. If you can find one make sure it still has the speakon to 1/4" cable for mono bridging the amp. I also would stay away from any on the overseas crap they are producing now.

8. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    okay. i'll try to find the country where it was built.

Blem offers the same warranty, so I thought it would be a no-brainer.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, look for a used SLM model, and all will be well.

10. The problem is, if it breaks it often takes a long time and a lot of effort to get things fixed. And with the manufacturer issues Ampeg / Loud is having right now there may be no way to get it fixed at all in a few months.

11. Although I use a BA-210sp, I have never been terribly impressed w/Ampeg aside from original SVTs(no comment on newer ones; never played one), in fact their tube-pre heads have always left me wanting. That said, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between new & refurbed I'd go new. :)

Edit: I mean, go used SLM.

12. Personally I would go used on TB because there are some steals on the classifieds and usually the members fully disclose any issues with the unit. However the b-stock stuff has piqued my interest, I'd be interested to see who has actually bought the b-stock stuff and what they have had to say about it.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A refurb from a music store is going to be a LOUD Chinese model, no question. And I'll tell you why they're so risky...

When LOUD took Ampeg to China/Vietnam, they replaced every single part in every amp with Chinese-made parts, and China isn't exactly known for exacting tolerances or top of the line quality control. They also had accountants who might have taken a couple engineering classes come in and find ways to cheap out on the designs, sometimes resulting in parts vital to the operation of the amps being out of spec or even gone. Then they rushed everything to market and a lot of it didn't work right. The head idiot in charge of LOUD, Jaime Engen, was fired a few months ago, as he should have been, but by then the damage was done. But LOUD hasn't shown me much that the new guy isn't an idiot. A few months before Engen got the axe, they hired the guy from SLM in charge of service centers to come in and get the QC up and get the service centers more up to speed, then the new regime fired him a week before Christmas last year. So I have given up on LOUD entirely and wouldn't buy one of their products.

Wen a LOUD amp works, it's a fabulous amp. I'm doing a gig this week on a rented LOUD SVT-CL head that sounds as good as any I've played. Another guy on here bought a LOUD SVT-CL that he says sounds as good as any of his 3 or 4 vintage SVT's after replacing the stock tubes with good ones. But two months ago, I played a rented LOUD SVT-CL that went into hard standby every time you turned the gain or volume knob. So at best it's a crapshoot.