1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you buy a rock stars amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Jun 3, 2014.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Would you, if you could, buy an amp used by your favorite Bass player or one used on a certain record? Would you buy mike Starr of Alice in chains recording amp?

2. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    Why not? I would do it, if the price would be reasonable.

Big bands use to have a tech that maintains the amps. So amybe this amps are in better shape than the ones
    you get used from a weekend warrior who uses his amp for rehershall and some gigs, mostly standing in smokey
    clubs and practise rooms, never opened at all..

3. Yes, but I wouldn't pay any extra for it.

4. Setting aside the absurd price it would command, John Paul Jones' Acoustic would be a blast to own.

And yes, I would gig that thing!

5. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    So the amp that produced something like master of puppets. Dirt, maybe appetite for destruction wouldn't be worth more than the same amp otherwise?

6. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    No, but I would let him give it to me as he really doesn't need the money anyway.

7. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Reasonable is so subjective. I see guitar picks of dead musicians go for $100 and shirts go for $200 so shouldn't an amp be worth alot?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I did buy a cab that Dave LaRue was selling.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Only if it sounded like I wanted it to sound. In this case it's a used amp that may have used amp sag. That could make it sweet or blown out.
    Who owned it is irrelevant. That musician's mojo may have rubbed off but the effect is limited to your state of fanboyness. ;)

10. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I guess I should've said dead rock stars. Cliff Burtons amp? Mike starts? Lemmys Marshall when he's gone? Pieces of history.

11. audionut36

audionut36

Sep 25, 2012
    Mebbe....

12. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    I am buying amps to play with. Amps like Lemmy original "Murder One" are collectables that will not be gigged. This is a shame.

Amps like this will end up in the safe of some wealthy mofo, never played again. :rollno: :banghead:

13. Not just because it had been theirs, no. I'd tend to look at it like any other piece of gear. Although, I do sometimes wonder what does happen to that stuff.

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I have a guitar combo that was Status Quo's, important bit is a nice custom feature. I had a cab that was Cockney Rebel's too. don't find much exciting about them. Bass that was used by one of my favourite bands and appears in videos and stuff still excites me a bit though.

15. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I was able to buy the amp of a star and I use it too!

16. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I had the opportunity to acquire Larry Graham's talk box that he used on some of the Sly records. I was in a band with the guitarist from Graham Central Station and he offered it to me for free since he didn't want it. I passed on it at the time since I didn't have a use for it, but I do regret not getting it. Larry said it gave him headaches, according to Dave, the guitarist.

17. In the pawn shop today and stumbled on a new addition: Sunn 118 Cab! I stood in disbelief as I have not seen one since the 70's at Heil - Ye Olde Music in Marissa IL. It was just a flash back! It was bigger than I remember and was designed to mate stacked with my old Coliseum head. Just for a moment I thought of John Entwistle playing thought stacks of these and 4x12's. Oh yah back to the question: If I could get any amp of JE Boris Bones H*ll yes. I would build an alter and worship it. Is that an answer?

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    nowadays i would say no, but when Mark Sandman's Ampeg rig was on Ebay I had a REAL hard time talking myself down from the buy it now button.

TheRealKong likes this.
  19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Tube amp? Yes...because you have so many variables and tweaks that get done to them to keep things running optimally on the road.

Out of production amp? Depends on how good the amp was, I hear awesome things about the Acoustic 360 amps from back when so that might be a neat thing to have.

Amp in production currently? Not a chance! If I can purchase the exact same thing they are using at a lower cost because it doesn't have the mojo of "they touched it!!!", I'd just buy a brand new one. Not to mention, what would you do if it broke? "Excuse me, Mr. McKagan? Your GK broke on me and I uhhh...would like for you to make that right? *cowers*" ;)

20. Would I? Could I? Aye, I would, if I could, buy what I would if I could.
    Could I? Yes! Would I? Buy?
    By and by I would buy an amp, with Starr's in my eye, if I, could buy, that amp,
    twice, at the same price as any other non-star's amp, then yes, that would be nice.