Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you buy a SWR Redhead from 92-93?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by merkinberkin, Apr 16, 2005.

1. merkinberkin

merkinberkin

Apr 16, 2005
    Well would you? And how good would you say these amps are?

2. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have a Basic 350 head and Goliath II Jr. cab from that vintage. They are basically the same components that go into the Redhead.

I haven't had any problems with either one of them. They still sound as good now as when I first got them.

If you like the sound and the fact that it's a combo, I'd say to go for it.

LeonD

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would say go for it because many people who are die hard SWR devotees swear by the earlier SWR stuff. I always loved my SWR Grand Prix and it was an original. I think people like the earlier SWR Redheads because there was more effort put into the preamp design and SWR used better components back then. Good luck and I say go for it!

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Make sure you check the speakers to make sure the voice coils aren't fried. They usually have a warbly sound when that happens. I gigged with one for a few years and found out the hard way that Redheads aren't great as a stand alone.

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've had mine for over 10 years,and within those years it's been a great combo amp for me in all types of musical genres with out any problems albeit the clubs weren't very large venues,nor were they very small ither,and with the large rooms I would hook it up with my Goliath II 4x10 ( a cabinet that I wish I would've kept)and this combo did the job as well

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Depending on it's condition I would. Great amp with a great sound. I would test it with an extension cab before buying if possible if you use an active bass.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, biggest thing to look at is the condition of the drivers. more than likely they need a recone. otherwise that's a great vintage.

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I actually had one from that exact time period. As far as tone and reliability, no complaints. As a stand alone....good not great. With an extension cabinet is where the amp really shines. I paired it with a Goliath II JR. (2X10) The low end really seemed to blossom when run at 4 ohms. One thing to take notice of, at 4 ohms that bad boy ran so hot, you could fry an egg on the front panel!! At the time it didn't seem to affect anything (except when unplugging the di after a 4 hr gig. OUCH!!!) but as we all know, high heat over an extended period of time can't exactly be the best thing for an amp!!

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    SWR Redhead. That sounds like a.......... combo amp. :eyebrow: I guess the answer would be, no. ;)

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    SWRs are supposed to get hot to the touch as the chassis is made to wick heat away from the components. That's a good sign and is design feature not a flaw. See the owner's manuals on the SWR site.