1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you... buy a used cabinet from Musician's Friend?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmy Stump, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Hopefully, this is posted in the right section....

As a Canadian from the great, white north, I've never done business with Musician's Friend. I have an account set up and was considering it though.

They are currently sold out of a new bass cabinet I want, but do have some used ones on hand, for about $120 less. Has no warranty though, which worries me, considering they are saying it is "condition 1" and "indistinguishable from new".

My question is, does anyone know the deal with Musician's Friend used equipment? Is it refurbished crap, or just stuff that someone didn't like? And, has anyone bought anything and had any significant troubles with the equipment?

Your experience is what I'm looking for here.

Cheers.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    No warranty or exchange - no deal

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    No way. Their customer service is horrible, and I'd hate to see what they think is "good condition".

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i bought a used casio piano for my wife from mf once, and it was in perfect condition. when she quit trying to learn it, she sold it and made $50 on it.

so yeah, i'd do it again ;)

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They do offer a generous 45-day return policy on used gear, including to Canada. And in every instance where I've wanted to return something to them, it was easy and painless. I've returned items to them on at least six occasions.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if the item is what you want, and its a good deal, i don't see a problem with it at all. with their 45 day return policy, you could alsways return it if you found it to be less than described. (IME, their return system is hassle-free).

7. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    No, I would not. The cost to ship it back would negate any savings from buying it used. It's the exception rather than the rule that used/returned goods from a retailer (vs. buying from a TBer) are "in great shape" or "exactly as described."

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If it's free shipping back to them, I would. If you have pay for return shipping, I wouldn't. And I disagree with the horrible customer service comment. I've bought lots from them, returned a handful of things, and never had any problem at all.

9. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree with this. Unfortunately, very few companies will pay for return shipping except in rare cases. I.E. it'll take you a week and 32 phones calls to sort it out. :meh:

10. devtodd1

devtodd1

Oct 6, 2009
    I've never had a problem.

11. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    They won't pay for return shipping unless you argue with them. I had them try to tell me it was my fault for wanting to return a bass that I ordered in a different color... It took several phone calls to get them to send me a shipping label. I'd say its a safe bet to order if you are 100% sure you want that cabinet (so try it local if possible).

12. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    It's the lack of warranty that bugs me. You can return it no questions asked within 45 days, on my dime. That's a pretty sweet return policy.

As one poster said, the cost of return shipping back negates most of the cost savings you got in the first place.

13. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    MF is wonderful. Never had anything but positive experiences buying used gear from them, whether it's used basses, high-end recording gear or cabinets. Returning stuff to them is very, very easy. But, yeah, unless there's a functional issue with the item, you pay the return shipping costs.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I bought a set of refurb. Alesis powered studio monitors from them and they've been perfectly fine...and were about half price or less.

15. I personally wouldn't buy anything from MF, new or used, unless I was in a massive jam and had no choice.

That's just me, however.

16. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    I have bought used items from MF... worked out fine.

If you are certain the item is what you need I reckon its a high percentage likelihood of positive results... but it'd be an expensive way to try out gear what with shipping costs to Canada.

17. I've never had anything less than excellent customer service from MF myself. I've bought a couple condition one used items, and when they say "indistinguishable from new" they mean it. I'm talking all case candy, stickers, "inspected by" labels, and original packaging.

BUT: If you don't like the item, the cost of shipping it back would be a bummer, especially since it's a cab. But that's just retail, because I don't know too many places that'll foot the bill for you to ship something back unless it's their fault.

18. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I definitely know I want the cab, so there is no issue with that. As long as condition 1 is as they say it is, I won't worry.

Thanks for the input everyone!

19. I've purchased used gear from MF and it's arrived fully packaged as if it were brand new, no problems at all.;)

20. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Their used stuff seems over-priced to me.