1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you buy new, or customize a cheapo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Apr 10, 2010.

Would you customize or just purchase

Poll closed Apr 17, 2010.
  1. Customize! Its better when its your own.

22.2%
  2. Buy! Its faster, and more reliable (in some cases)

44.4%
  3. Buy, then customize! Its not cheap but look at what you get!

33.3%
  1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Ok guys, I can either spend money on a 5-string or I can get a cheap body blank body and customize it. The blank is just that, completely blank, no paint, or any hardware of any sort. Its a plywood PJ style 5-string and I was thinking of routing out the Jass spot to make room for a humbucker/MM style. I like the idea and look of it. (How difficult is this?)

Or I can spend about $300-$500 and just buy one that is already to go after a string change and if anything breaks I can get it fixed under warranty.

Or as a third option, buy the already made bass and customize it, but this is the most expensive option.

Opinions, experience, suggestions?

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
  3. I would buy new, and do a little customizing to that.

4. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I would figure out what I wanted first. Then buy it used. Go to every music store you can find and try every bass you can get your hands on. A plywood bass would be a good gag gift on April fools day. The wood used in a bass determines the tone, more so than the pickups.
    Forget trying to "customize", just buy what you want already made.

5. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Good point, that is kind of the direction I was headed. Have been checking out my options.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That is definitely false.

7. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    if you ever want to resell it for some reason it's better to do only minor customization. having said that my favorite bass is all made from parts painstakingly selected by me.

8. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Play as many stock 5 strings AS POSSIBLE.

Buying bodies, necks, hardware can be shakey at best. You'll never know if it'll fit together, and you'll spend more time on it.

Buy a stock bass that you like the most, and maybe change very small things. Set up, string gauge, whatever.

9. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Yeah, I spend some time at GC today, was surprised at the feel of some of the basses. I wasn't expecting some of them to be so heavy. The Sterling by Music Man basses we pretty heavy to me. Weight is a big factor because of 2-3 hour standing practices without breaks.

Yeah, I found some nice looking basses, but can't find the weights and neck profile info on many of them. Some cheap some nicer.

Thing is the body blank feels good. I played a fully equipped one awhile back and it felt good, too.