Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would you buy this 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, Dec 28, 2003.

1. So the other day, i walk into my local "music go round" and i see my beauty. for a while, i have wanted a 5 string, but a 6 string....very cool. Watching john myung from dream theater has got me GAS'in for one. what do you think of this one??~?? its an ibanez soundgear 6 string for 350.00$. it also comes with a hard case..but its not like the case is anyhting special, just kinda...blah. what do you think??~? get it, or kill it. i have HUGE hands, so its easy to play and its fun, but like some things. I get to the store and go "OMG THIS IS AMAZING" but in 2 days im like "why did i puy this P.O.S.! so what does everyone think of these?

- w00t

2. heres another. FYI, its got some finger marks on it (i dident polish it):)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From my experiences, the Ibanez Soundgear pickups are rather weak/thin. If you replace those its a nice bass though.

4. That's the 406 (I believe), the bottom end sixer from Ibanez. If you stretch your dollar a bit more you could get the "middle" of the road sixer, the 496. With the 496 you get a Mahogany body, with wenge and purple heart 5 piece neck, which IMO is a lot nicer.

I think all of the soundgears have a 34" scale though, which I'm not too crazy about. I'd play it a bit, and make sure the B string isn't floppin around and stuff.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i've played that one before, didn't do anything for me.

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I owned that exact model for about 3 weeks and it was by far the worst bass I've ever owned. I'm not sure why I bought it but I must say that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Terrible B string and the rest of the strings aren't far behind. The neck was quite uncomfortable to me and the action was quite high. I didn't like the electronics at all. To make it even better it didn't balance well when using a strap. Please save a bit more money and buy something better. You'll be glad you did.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've only played with that bass in stores, but my first impression leads me to believe this experience quite easily.

Personally I think you'd be better off with a brand new Brice 6 from Rondo music for less Do Rei Me.

8. I've played several of those, and I can't say I've liked em at all.

You get what you pay for, though, so you're probobly better off holding out for something nicer.

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My friend owns a 4 String SG, it sounds nice. However, personally I wouldn't buy one because I don't have the technique happening yet, I don't have the money, I don't have the time to go buy one, and I want a 5 fretless first.

10. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I say go for it man
    Those are nice

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Dude, don't.

For the same cash, you could pick up a barely used MTD Kingston 5,, a world apart from the Soundgear IME.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    gotta love the kingston/heir!

13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Although the MTD Kingstons are nice for the price, I think impulsee really just has 6 string gas. That said, don't get that bass. Don't get a bass from Rondo either. I would suggest saving up just a little longer. Not too long ago I saw a beautiful red John Myung Yammy (used) for $750.

Just save up your money and always check out ebay and the used sections of music shops.

14. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    soundgears just don't seem to have a decent b string, imo. i recently sold my 885, and while it was a good bang for the buck, it pales in comparison to a lot of fivers in the same price range. with that said, if you're looking to get a 5 or 6 to see if you really want to go that way, that might not be too bad of a buy for you. however, if you are positive you are going to stick w/a 5 or 6, save your money and get something nicer...

jskh