Would you buy this Hypothetical Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yes, this amp would be awesome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maybe, it has some features I would never use

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Probably not, I wouldn't use some of the features / it's too complicated

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. No, I have no use for most of the features / there are better amps for my needs

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Try to imagine the following:

• Two Channel amp, single input w/ pad switch
    • All Solid State
    • Two Class-D / SMPS 600w Power amps, bridgeable to 1200w mono @ 4ohms
    • Channels switchable and able to be JOINED in Parallel. (True Bi-Amp Capability
    • Each channel has dedicated Gain & Volume controls, FX loops and EQ. (Ch. 1 FX loop can be assigned to BOTH channels)
    • Channels are assignable to one side or both sides of the power amp section
    • Vactrol Compressor at the front of the circuit w/ adjustable Level.
    Channel 1:
    • Channel Select*, Lo-Pass filter, Gain, Drive, Contour*, Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume.
    • Low Pass Filter is 24db/Octave control sweepable from OFF; 4Khz -down to 600Hz
    • Drive control ranges from ultra-clean to slight tubey overdrive.
    • Contour control is progressive shelving reduction of mids centered at 400hz, slight boost of bass and Treble at 80hz and 5Khz.
    • EQ Section is modified Baxandall Circuit; Bass & Treble are passive and boost-only, Mid is Active cut & boost at either 400hz or 800hz.
    Channel 2:
    • Channel Select*, Hi-Pass Filter, Drive, Character, Bass, Mid, Presence, Treble, Volume
    • Hi-Pass Filter is 12db/Octave control sweepable from OFF; 200hz-800hz
    • Drive control ranges from slight overdrive in its lowest settings to extreme guitar amp distortion
    • Character knob is OFF at center (12o'clock), counterclockwise cuts hi-mids and boosts a wide Q from 100hz up, clockwise boosts mids and hi-mids centered at 3khz.
    • EQ Section is all active, Bass is cut/boost at 100hz, Mid is cut/boost at 800hz, Presence control is boost-only at 2.5-3Khz, Treble is cut-only at 7.5Khz

Description:
    The circuit starts with a one-knob compressor. After the compressor, the signal from the input can be routed to either Channel, or you can combine both Channels in parallel. Ch1 is a very usable and adjustable circuit that will fill a ton of roles. Think of GK's standard circuit. Clean, versatile, and crisp. Drive control can introduce subtle drive and tubby tones, with slight overdrive at higher levels. The LPF is OFF at it's lowest setting, with a bottom-detent. Once engaged, the LPF cuts highs and hi-mids throughout it's range, and acts like a the master tone control on a passive bass. This control can be used on it's own, or when both channels combined. Channel 2 is a drive only channel. The circuit layout allows you to create any drive, overdrive or distortion character imaginable, and mix it in with your clean signal from Ch1 via the independant volume controls. Or, the HPF and LPF filters can be engaged and true Bi-Amping can be achieved; just like using both a bass amp and a guitar amp live. Channel 2 can also be used alone for a single overdriven or distorted main tone, and footswitch in Channel 1 for quieter or clean passages. Each channel has it's own FX loop, with Channel 1's loop assignable to BOTH channels.

Channel select / combine, FX loops and Mute are all Footswitchable.

At the power section, you can assign the mixed signal to both channels, and run 2 cabinets, bridge the amp and run one large cabinet, or assign each channel to a dedicated power amp and run one low and one high cabinet.

Around back, you have 3 speaker outputs: Channel 1 / Mix, Bridge Mono (mix only) and Channel 2 / Mix. Three DI's; Hi, Lo & mix with defeatable "Speaker Sim" hi-cut to remove "Fizz" from the drive channel, and the independent FX loops. There's also a Tuner and headphone out.

Unit would be priced around $1,299

WOULD YOU BUY IT?

WHY OR WHY NOT?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. Meh solid state.

aaronious likes this.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Why I would not buy it? Don't need the feature set. Suggestion for someone who might, two inputs assignable to a "side" or both. That way an EB and UB/EUB could switch instruments without touching cables.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Nope, because I have exactly what I want and need in my Axe-Fx II.

The idea sounds pretty neat, but if I were designing this, I'd make a handful of tweaks for my personal use (which would probably only appeal to a small audience).

Other questions would be with the aesthetic design, power capabilities, and weight.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    How does a shelving mid control work?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not me. I need good headroom and a front end that basically stays out of the way. All of my basses sound great so I don't need to tweak them.

7. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Hahah correct and corrected....

This was a question asked of me by a friend. We were discussing the new Tech21NYC dUg1000 amp, my frustration with its price and the fact there are no other all-in-one options out there that would allow me to bi-amp dry and dirty channels, or even amps that have parallel FX loops which would allow me to do much the same... and he was groaning about the lack of options with the tone controls and FX loop. He laid out for me what he thought would be perfect for him... I told him that having this many features often turns people off, because they already have their preferred signal routing... or preferred OD pedal etc....

Really I just can't understand the total absence of parallel routing options in the bass head world. He thinks an amp can't possibly have enough features.... after taking a look at his ENORMOUS pedal board it's not hard to fathom why.....

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Didn’t vote ‘cos there is no Carrots option! Come on Pablo you KNOW better!! :D

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Besides if I wanted something like you describe I would just put a suitable amplifier together.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Can I pay with hypothetical money?

will33 likes this.
  11. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I'll hypothetically ship your mythic amp right away.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Not for me too many knobs, I like simple and fast equing...

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not me. I didn't have the patience to read and digest the copious specs, so I probably wouldn't want the amp.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    6 billion knobs and no true active crossover? And a one-knob compressor?

Barking up the right tree, but I want to highpass the lowend, lowpass the highend, AND split the bandwidth.

Also, I'll be paying with hypothetical money. What is the exchange rate on your planet?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022